• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writers Guild Strike

Libra6Poe

http://www.wga.org/subpage_member.aspx?id=2204
Thoughts?
How will this affect your tv viewing? :rolleyes:

The last strike was in 1988, lasted 22 weeks, and cost the industry $500 million.

Do you watch your shows online? abc.go.com, nbc.com, cbs.com, fox.com?
For me, I don't always have time to watch a show the evening it airs, so I catch up on the weekend online. When you watch them streaming, there are about five 30 second commercials and writers are not being compensated for it the way they are when a show is rerun on television.

It won't affect my television viewing whatsoever. I usually have the TV on for background noise anyway like when I'm eating or doing homework. I try not to watching anything online because I already spend an awful amount of time on the computer; I don't want to add to it.

For me, I don't always have time to watch a show the evening it airs, so I catch up on the weekend online. When you watch them streaming, there are about five 30 second commercials and writers are not being compensated for it the way they are when a show is rerun on television.

And IMO, that's the big issue here. Television is seeing the biggest technical change since its invention right now. If five or ten years from now most broadcasting has moved to the net - which hardly seems like sci-fi - that effectively means that under the current deal, writers won't get paid a single dime for it. If the studios won't budge on that, the writers are well within their rights to use whatever means they have to protest. There's been a surge in the quality of TV scripts over the last 10 years, and I'd hate to see that be lost simply because of studio greed.

I thought this guy summed it up pretty well.

I know the reasons for the strike (my husband writes commercials, and keeps up with things like that).

My TV viewing habits won't really change, since I don't often watch it. I do watch football - but the game won't be changed by lack of writers, and my husband and I sometimes watch COPS, which got its start during the last writer's strike.

Not that much really. Since becoming a parent, I find that much of that extra time has gone away! I've got hours of things on DVR to watch and a healthy selection of DVDs should I decide to or find the time to do some viewing.

Well, I'm a huge Office fan and I'm kind of bummed that I'll be missing out on it. But I definitely hope that all the writers get what they're asking/deserve.

I loved Steve Carell's official explanation for why he won't cross the picket line:
Additionally, I've been told that Steve Carell informed NBC he is unable to report to work because he is suffering from “enlarged balls.” Not just enlarged, I'd say, but brass ones. The source on this one adds, "We wish him a happy, slow recovery."

Writer's strike

I came across the writer's strike news and was not all that surprised to learn how little of the money percentage they get being the principle creators of all what anyone knows as the content they buy and watch.

Watching a television show, movie, or a live broadcast of anything requires writers, and a following of the script so to speak.

If you don't know what the hell to say or do, it looks pretty pathetic.

Of the three major pieces to the entertainment puzzle ( actors, directors, production/distribution ) I should think the actor should get the smallest piece because as anyone can tell you, they are nothing more than the face to fill the void on the screen. Besides that, what else can they do?

Not many in the hollywood insdustry can essentially walk and chew gum at the same time, or to say more plainly work both sides of the camera.

... Of the three major pieces to the entertainment puzzle ( actors, directors, production/distribution ) I should think the actor should get the smallest piece because as anyone can tell you, they are nothing more than the face to fill the void on the screen...

You've never actually done any acting, then?

Back