• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing Advice

Threak17

I came across this list while reading, Hemingway, a Biography, by Jeffery Meyers and thought I'd pass it along. Pretty solid advice from a guy who seems to have done all right for himself...

Hemingway's Basic Principles of Writing

Study the best literary models.

Master your subject through experience and reading.

Work in dedicated isolation.

Begin early in the morning and concentrate for several hours each day.

Begin by reading everything you have written from the start or, if you are engaged on a long book, from the last chapter.

Write slowly and deliberately.

Stop writing when things are going well and you know what will happen next so that you have sufficient momentum to continue the next day.

Do not discuss the material while writing about it.

Do not think about writing when you are finished for the day but allow your subconscious mind to ponder it.

Work continuously on a project once you start it.

Keep a record of your daily progress.

Make a list of titles after you have completed the work.

Sounds like solid advice. I'll have to post it somewhere in my clutter, or perhaps shrink it to a bookmark. :)
Many thanks for posting.
Peder
:flowers:

Write slowly and deliberately

Overall good advice, but sometimes a writer needs to write quickly to get out the brilliant ideas as they are coming, then go back to edit 'slowly and deliberately'.

I agree. You've got to ride the wave for as long as you can and edit later. Writing is re-writing anyway.

Back