• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing traditions/rules?

hoop

I'm just wondering about writing traditions. This may have been asked before, but you'll have to forgive me as I'm going to write mine down anyway. The reason for this? None, I just want to compare...

1, Some people say they can't write with music, others say they can't write in silence. I don't mind either way. I'm probably quicker without music, and if I need to focus then I'll certainly turn it off, but I'm never in any rush so I'll pop on some tunes.

2, I can't have people in the room though. This proved to be difficult when I worked for a magazine publisher, and I had to learn how to break this barrier. But a few years on and I'm writing for my own pleasure, and I've found that I can't get into that vulnerable state I need to be in, in order to write.

3, A good few hours ahead of me. I can't rush it in the mornings before work. Annoying, as I work best in the morning. I have to know that I've got 3-4 hours ahead of me so I can fully relax. Otherwise I'm looking at the clock the whole time.

4, Internet access. Yes, it makes me work slower, but nothing beats it for research. From complex historical timelines to what years the VW Corrado was in production for (1988-1992, apparantly), the Internet is utterly essential to my writing production.

5, A vague plan for afterwards. I need something to reward myself with. Tonight I've written 2k words, so I'm either going to play Grand Theft Auto or watch Seinfield DVD's. The choice is mine, thanks to my hard work earlier!

I've heard some odd tales. One author has a giant vault in her house, that she locks herself into when she writes. Roald Dahl had his shed. Iain Banks keeps office hours for 3 months of the year. Stephen King also keeps office hours when he writes. Some authors work through the night, forgetting to eat, sleep and bathe in their work fever. Some authors write 1 page a day, even if it's crap. Others don't edit until the first draft is complete, some edit line-by-line. I've had to face the fact that I have no amusing little eccentricity when it comes to writing. I can just sit down at a desk (or on a bed with a thick atlas seperating my egg-fryingly hot laptop from my sensitive testicles like I am now) and just... do it. I'm oh-so-boring.

What do YOU like to do before sitting down to headbutt the keyboard for a few hours?

hoop said:
What do YOU like to do before sitting down to headbutt the keyboard for a few hours?
Have music on (like when I was studying, need 'background' noise)
Start with outline of story (short lines as not to forget certain ideas, lines or character details)
Just start writing until I'm interrupted by phone, customer, emails or 'writers-block'
'Polish' the story after I'm spend for the time being.

Have lots of fun during the process, because of the process

WoodYouLike - Your screen name has put that old, annoying advert song into my head - "If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit join our club...". It's going to drive me crazy :D .

Oh and as for the writing, no traditions really, when I get into the writing then nothing else matters. Music, tv, people, everything just gets tuned out.

I guess everyone needs a different environment to write in, but I like to write in my room (alone), with music on. I have several different playlists according to the kinds of scenes I'm writing--I have one for fear, one for sadness, one meant for fight scenes, one for anger...those help out a lot. I also have to make sure I won't be interrupted, so I sometimes unplug the phone in my room and keep my IM off.

If you want to talk about odd stories about writers, I heard that Ben Franklin wrote in the bathtub. I tried it once. It worked alright, except I don't like writing by hand anyway, and I kept splashing water on the paper.

[If you want to talk about odd stories about writers, I heard that Ben Franklin wrote in the bathtub. I tried it once. It worked alright, except I don't like writing by hand anyway, and I kept splashing water on the paper.[/QUOTE]
Hee hee! That's funny.

Yeah, my only way of writing is in the middle of the night, typing on my computer. For some reason, that's the only time I can get ideas on what I want to write about... Everything good I've ever written has come out of some two in the morning all night writing session. I don't know why. It might be the fact that this is the quietest time of the entire day, or it could be that this is when my subconscious is most apt at taking things that have happened and getting my hands to type them on the computer. I don't know but this is how it is.

Yeah, I write best at night as well. I don't typically write at two in the morning, though; it's more ten-to-midnight-ish. My imagination is most active at that time--especially when I'm trying to go to sleep. I have been known to keep a notebook reasonably close to my bed so I can write down any good idea that pops up, because I'm likely to forget it in the morning otherwise.

Really? I can't write at all at night. It has to be during the morning or afternoon, which makes life difficult. Doesn't stop me from trying at night though...

Gem said:
Oh and as for the writing, no traditions really, when I get into the writing then nothing else matters. Music, tv, people, everything just gets tuned out.

This is true for me as well. I have to read in quiet, but I can write in any environment. I don't do better at any particular time of day (or night) either. It all depends on my state of mind, and the right state of mind can occur at any moment. I have been known to scrawl on napkins.

4, Internet access. Yes, it makes me work slower, but nothing beats it for research. From complex historical timelines to what years the VW Corrado was in production for (1988-1992, apparantly), the Internet is utterly essential to my writing production.

Actually the Corrado was still in production until 1996...
No, I'm not a pedant:
My real point being, be careful what you read off of the internet.

Even be careful what you read by journalists in magazines, Keeping to the automotive topic for one moment, I recall when a notable British magazine said the Porsche 928s cylinder block was made of Nicasil- infact it wasn't it was hypereutectic aluminium. How do I know? Because I was involved in the last of the line 928 GTSs at Porsche Weissach...;)

There are entire mythologies surrounding them. The hard-bitten news reporter with the jaunty cap and the nicotine stains on his fingers, rattling away at his trusty, manual typewriter. The solitary poet lounging at an elegant desk, sunlight streaming across the page as the pen nib flits its way from word to word as a cat purrs nearby. The starving writer in an attic garret, huddled against the cold, scratching feverishly to keep up with the inspiration welling up from his frozen toes. The best-selling author excuding charm and wit while she chats with Oprah and boosts her sales by about a million percent just by being on the show.

translation services

Back