• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing's a mess, seeking new system

Michigan

kickbox
Hiyaz just wondering if anyone can help me here? I do a lot of writing but I'm still a teen and am not thinking in terms of publishing any time in the instant future but I could use any tips or advice regarding my problem. As I said I write a lot and I'm always getting new ideas but I'm overcrowded with big plots that can involve whole fictional worlds and pasts and futures, and I've got heaps of old stuff to sift through and keep working on, and I've got all these new ideas all the time. I need to develop a system to sort ideas. I want to emphasise that I don't just want to scrap heaps of it because I have or have had equal enthusiasm for them all. Even so I rarely get past the second chapter. I understand that this might be a common problem but I don't understand what I can do about it!
My only ideas to combat this mess are blending the plots a bit which can destroy them, or stop attempting novels and make them short stories or novellas, but I feel they're too complex for that!
PLEASE don't just tell me to dump a lot, I don't like losing so much... :( Or if that's the case then tell me how I can work out what to get rid of rather than just generally get rid of a particular amount of it.
A related problem is how to keep a story that I think has a lot of potential fresh and exciting for me. Sometimes I have a huge plot and a world and characters and ideas for the next bit but I just can't get going. How to survive this?
Thanking you in advance for any tips or advice. Even just a polite nod of understanding. :)

Hi Michigan,

Why not file them as discrete ideas that can be fleshed into stories in time? It might also help to keep a file of phrases, words that grab your attention or occur out of the blue; you'll be amazed how many a story arises from small, insignificant skeletons. I guess other than this, you just need passion and commitment to finish one piece or the other.

Michigan said:
As I said I write a lot and I'm always getting new ideas but I'm overcrowded with big plots that can involve whole fictional worlds and pasts and futures, and I've got heaps of old stuff to sift through and keep working on, and I've got all these new ideas all the time. I need to develop a system to sort ideas. I want to emphasise that I don't just want to scrap heaps of it because I have or have had equal enthusiasm for them all. Even so I rarely get past the second chapter. I understand that this might be a common problem but I don't understand what I can do about it!

Michigan, there are a number of computer programs that can do this for you. One really simple and FREE one is put out by 3M, called "Post-It". Yeah, it's the same company. The software acts just like a post-it note where you can type bits and fragments of ideas and file them in folders until you need them.

Here's the link: Post-It Software

PLEASE don't just tell me to dump a lot, I don't like losing so much... Or if that's the case then tell me how I can work out what to get rid of rather than just generally get rid of a particular amount of it.

Now, this is a different question entirely, and has to do with excessive backstory in an existing book. The trick is to let the reader know there IS backstory, while not overburdening them with it. Here's an example of how that can work, from our latest book:

“We need to talk, Giodone,” Bobby’s voice hissed in my ear. “You’ve got trouble.”
“Why would you care?” I asked with narrowed eyes. My instinct told me not to trust anyone. I’d worked with Bobby before, so I knew he was capable of a double-cross.
He let out an exasperated noise. “Christ, Tony. I’m the good guy here. I still owe you my life from Panama. Other than that, you’re right. I don’t care. Granted it took a big pair of cajones to ice the kid right at the precinct steps, but it was pretty stupid, too.”
He was right about Panama. That had been another really bad week. “Okay, let’s say I believe you. How long do I have?”

See, you know there IS backstory between the two that would promote trust, and you can certainly have bunches of backstory in a file folder somewhere, but for the purpose of the story, it doesn't need to be stated. If there's a sequel(s), you can add in more of it until it's all told. But it's not necessary to move the plot along.

A related problem is how to keep a story that I think has a lot of potential fresh and exciting for me. Sometimes I have a huge plot and a world and characters and ideas for the next bit but I just can't get going. How to survive this?

:rolleyes: You're hardly the only one with THIS problem! LOL! What's worked for me is to write the scene that really excites you, plus the basic plot and background of the characters and set it aside. If the scene you write is what excited you in the first place, it will STILL excite you a year from now. You may not remember the tiny details of the plot, but adding new information is part of the fun of writing!

Good luck!

Cathy

Michigan said:
PLEASE don't just tell me to dump a lot, I don't like losing so much...
I'd never tell you to do that! You can put it away and perhaps never use something again, but whatever you do, DO NOT dump it. It's good to keep your old writing for a number of reasons: you can see how it's progressed over time; you might want to re-work or re-start something; you might want to use an old idea or great phrase.

My only ideas to combat this mess are blending the plots a bit which can destroy them, or stop attempting novels and make them short stories or novellas, but I feel they're too complex for that!
Maybe start by writing one specific piece about one specific character and see where it goes. You said you're not interested in publishing yet; so just start the ball rolling by writing something rather than be caught up in the novel vs. short story vs. novella dilemna.

As Eugen and Cathy C suggest, keep all your ideas, phrases, bits of writing in an organized way so you can access them at any time.

ell

One of the best ways to keep it fresh is to find (or start) a writing group of people that you trust, that way they can bounce ideas and critiques around and keep you on your toes.

ah technology...

Bear with me, I've been working on this awhile too.

I have two writing icons on my computer desktop to preformatted Word documents. One is for outlining ideas--because sometimes you just have a bunch of details you want to put down--and the other is for writing--because sometimes you just sit down and start banging the thing out. When I get done with a session of either I just use SAVE AS to change the file name and make sure it goes to to another file--a writing only folder. Paper notes I've jotted down away from the computer go into an outline file ASAP too. That way my templates stay clean and all my stuff is together.

Periodically I'll go through and organize the files into other folders in the writing folder. I have one folder for just ideas and outlines and separate folders labeled with my title or working title for the story. I do this regardless of the length. Any outlines I have put together and any other writing that goes along with it goes in there too (character sketches, background details, etc.) If a story gets long enough or I think it has potential to become that way I'll go ahead and put it into a separate folder. About once a month I'll rename the file and burn it onto a CD for a backup. I just use the same one until its full and then put it away. That way you never lose anything and you've got all your writing together in the same spot. And it takes a LONG time to fill up a 700 mb CD.

I've been doing this for about five years now and I've found that its much neater, less prone to loss, and easier to go back through old notes checking for sparks than if you store every thing on paper. It sounds like a pain in the neck, but its worth it. Trust me its worth it. There is nothing worse than losing a good story idea because you wrote it down, put it out of your mind, then lost the paper/notebook/McDonalds sack/etc.

Back