• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

YA Book Recommendations (early 2014 edition)

readsalot

Meadow made me do it.

I find myself repeating a lot of suggestions, so I might as well throw 'em all in one thread so I don't accidentally put it on a 2002 thread :p
This will mainly be YA but also include adult books that are YA safe.

YA fantasy - Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill
YA fantasy with faeries - The Iron King -- the author's writing style is pretty cool but the actual plot's suitably ridiculous (contains some strong language)

YA dystopia - Ship Breaker by Paolo B... I can never get his last name right.
YA Science fiction/ Children's - Shadow Children series by Haddix

Humor/ Weird/ Twisted lit - Pride, Prejudice and Zombies (though I must say it was way funnier to hear as an audio than read)

Humor/ Weird/ Twisted lit - William Shakespeare's Star Wars

YA Historical Fiction - anything by Carolyn Meyers

Light Mystery - The Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Mystery/ Forensics - Bug Man Series by Tim Downs

Mystery/ I'm not sure "quaint"?? - The #1 Ladies Detective series by Alexander McCall Smith

Suggestions, additions?

I'm glad I made you do it :) so lets hope some of the other YA readers on the forum contribute their 5c worth. I'm afraid I don't read a heck of a lot of YA fiction by which I mean I tend to just pick up a book and read it regardless of 'age' so I read right across the spectrum. Just got a bunch of the Hardy Boys the other day (recapturing my childhood reading material :) )

Actually there have been a few books recently that I could recommend:

Eon - The Rise of the Dragon Eye
Eona - The Last Dragon Eye

by Alison Goodman. Fantasy set in a mythological version of China.

Cool. Which Hardy Boys books did you get? Hard cover, casefiles, supermysteries? Modern? (Which I personally believe took a giant step backward in quality.

Hardy Boys' Mysteries I think:
[1] HB 001-The Tower Treasure
[2] HB 002-The House On The Cliff
[3] HB 003-The Secret Of The Old Mill
[4] HB 004-The Missing Chums
[5] HB 005-Hunting For Hidden Gold
[6] HB 006-The Shore Road Mystery
[7] HB 007-The Secret Of The Caves
[8] HB 008-The Mystery Of Cabin Island
[9] HB 009-The Great Airport Mystery
[10] HB 010-What Happened At Midnight
[11] HB 011-While The Clock Ticked
[12] HB 012-Footprints Under The Window
[13] HB 013-The Mark On The Door
[14] HB 014-A Stormy Night
[15] HB 015-The Sinister Signpost
[16] HB 016-A Figure In Hiding
[17] HB 017-The Secret Warning
[18] HB 018-The Twisted Claw
[19] HB 019-The Disappearing Floor
[20] HB 020-The Mystery Of The Flying Express
[21] HB 021-The Clue Of The Broken Blade
[22] HB 022-The Flickering Torch Mystery
[23] HB 023-The Melted Coins
[24] HB 024-The Short Wave Mystery
[25] HB 025-The Secret Panel
[26] HB 026-The Phantom Freighter
[27] HB 027-The Secret Of Skull Mountain
[28] HB 028-The Sign Of The Crooked Arrow
[29] HB 029-The Secret Of The Lost Tunnel

Ha, what, did you buy an ebay lot? That list has more completion than my collection. Good list. I probably own about 200 if you count all series and both Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. Classics ;-P

Do you plan to read them all or just collect?

READ!!! LOL what is the point of having books you haven't read? I am slowly trying to find all the books I loved as a child, and rereading them. I got all the Famous Five books earlier this year (2013) as well as a few other Enid Blyton series I enjoyed but there are still a whole lot outstanding. I'm going to get Nancy Drew next I think. I also had a vast collection of horse stories of all shapes and sizes and I'm slowly finding those as well, but finding e-books of some of these older books is a challenge. You have to rely, in many instances, upon the kindness of strangers to scan and upload copies of out of print books and a lot of kids books are not on any publisher's 'hurry to sell on kindle' list. Ditto for older sci-fi books. You can not get a lot of the 'pulp fictiony' kind of sci-fi I remember reading for love of money. You know the kind with lurid many tentacled monsters on the covers and fairly often semi-naked ladies as well. (Yes I have had a many varied reading experience)

I found some of Zane Grey's books as well this past year but none of the titles I remember reading. Those fortunately you can get. Enid Blyton is of course also widely available as she is still as popular as ever.

I have a bunch of Nancy Drew files I bought off ebay and haven't gotten around to reading. I need to find the list with the #'s I've already read.
I've never heard of Enid Blyton. Where do you store all your books?

Do you read comic books?

I remember liking a lot of the casefiles, but I tried reading one over the summer and it just wasn't that great...guess I'll have to try again later.

I have a bunch of Nancy Drew files I bought off ebay and haven't gotten around to reading. I need to find the list with the #'s I've already read.
I've never heard of Enid Blyton. Where do you store all your books?

Do you read comic books?

I remember liking a lot of the casefiles, but I tried reading one over the summer and it just wasn't that great...guess I'll have to try again later.

In order: Enid Blyton is/was a prolific English writer of children's stories. Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Five Finder-outers. Tons of books for young readers through to probably about 12 yrs max.

Books are all in electronic format stored very happily and commodiously on my computur and e-reader. I think I mentioned that in my post that finding e-books is hard .... yes?

I do read some comics - Asterix & Obelix and Tintin primarily.

I only ever read a few Hardy Boys and always meant to read more but other books always beckoned.

Where are you getting them in electronic form? I thought a lot of them were out of print

I still read graphic novels that are star wars...guess I just keep trying them, hoping they'll get better.

Where are you getting them in electronic form? I thought a lot of them were out of print

I still read graphic novels that are star wars...guess I just keep trying them, hoping they'll get better.

For out of print books you have to rely on the generosity and hard work of those who are willing to scan.

Back