• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yann Martel: Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I thought this book was absolutely brilliant. Although the beginning can be a little hard to get through, I found the rest of the story to be both compelling and insightful. Martel uses beautiful language and amazing imagery, which helps to transport you right into the world of the book.

Absolutely recommended :D

MonkeyCatcher

I singled out this passage from "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel after reading a post at another forum entitled "The Bloat that is Don Quixote". Someone wanted to know why Cervantes book was so long and rambling.

I think that Yann Martel touches here upon something basic in human needs.

I think that, 400 years ago (the anniversary of Don Quixote's publication is this year) people appreciated have one large book that they could loose themselves in. I think that The Anatomy of Melancholy by Richard Burton was another such long rambling book that served this human need.

Pi said:
Chapter 73

My greatest wish --- other than salvation --- was to have a book. A long book with a never-ending story. One I could read again and again, with new eyes and a fresh understanding each time. Alas, there was no scripture in the lifeboat. I was a disconsolate Arjuna in a battered chariot without the benefit of Krishna's words. The first time I came upon a Bible in the bedside table of a hotel room in Canada, I burst into tears. I send a contribution to the Gideons the very next day, with a note urging them to spread the range of their activity to all places where worn and weary travellers might lay down their heads, not just to hotel rooms, and that they should leave not only Bibles, but other sacred writings as well. I cannot think of a better way to spread the faith. No thundering from a pulpit, no condemnation from bad churches, no peer pressure, just a book of scripture quietly waiting to say hello, as gentle and powerful as a little girl's kiss on your cheek.

At the very least, if I had had a good novel!

The reason for the length of Don Quijote is that it is not one book but two. The first book was such a success that someone else tried to cash in and write a second part. Cervantes then wrote a second book.

Very interesting!

clueless said:
The reason for the length of Don Quijote is that it is not one book but two. The first book was such a success that someone else tried to cash in and write a second part. Cervantes then wrote a second book.

Thanks! That is interesting to know. I like to learn such facts.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I liked the first 59 chapters but got bored with the rest. The last chapters with the interviews were good and I feel they could could be enjoyable as a short story, but overall I feel the book was disappointing.

raffaellabella said:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I liked the first 59 chapters but got bored with the rest. The last chapters with the interviews were good and I feel they could could be enjoyable as a short story, but overall I feel the book was disappointing.

I kind of petered out around the same time and still have not finished. I will but not right now.

raffaellabella said:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I liked the first 59 chapters but got bored with the rest.
Really? I found the first part of the book to be the most boring.. I really liked the middle part. But each to their own, I guess.

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

A couple of folk are telling me I should read it.

Just interested to know what you guys think. A worthwhile read?

Very worth the read. I believe there are a few threads already setup for discussion. Check the Book of the Month threads. Maybe the mods could do some merging?

RobertFKennedy said:
why are you always so prickly?

"rogue
n.
An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.

A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.

An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard."

I see nothing wrong here..... :p

I've read the book and really enjoyed it. You may want to hold off reading the discussion thread until you have read the book - there are definately a few spoilers in there. But yeah, I definately recommend you read it

Motokid said:
"rogue
n.
An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.

One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp.

A wandering beggar; a vagrant.

A vicious and solitary animal, especially an elephant that has separated itself from its herd.

An organism, especially a plant, that shows an undesirable variation from a standard."

I see nothing wrong here..... :p

ouch! That's gotta hurt

I read it like a year and a half ago, and I remember really liking it. Though I'd like to give it another read sometime soon.

Back