• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yay! (collapse)

novella

Well, gang, I've been sitting right here working for almost 12 hours and I've had a nearly 6,000 word day!!! Yay!! :) Think that's a record! Yessiree, my head is spinning off its hinges.

(Let me add, thanks for being around the virtual watercooler!)

novella said:
.....I've had a nearly 6,000 word day!!! Yay!! :)

face4.gif

Impressive!! I once wrote a 10,000 word dissertation in two days, because it was already passed the deadline and it was a crucial piece of coursework ... in fact I dont think I slept for about 40 hours whilst I was doing it! :)

Ahhh, those were the days!! :D

Phil

Motokid said:
What 'cha writin' novella? Book? Thesis? Paper? For fun? For work?

I'm in the middle (getting near the end!) of a revision of a novel, based on editors' comments.

Sounds more like a re-write than a revision.

Care to divulge any more info as to what the story's about?

Motokid said:
Sounds more like a re-write than a revision.

Care to divulge any more info as to what the story's about?

It is a rewrite. I'm changing a first-person narrative to a third-person POV throughout, so there are changes on every page. That frees me up to do other things with the plot and how various things are revealed, which will make it a better book. So there is fresh writing where I am adding new scenes to the existing story. Even though I'm working for hours every day, some days my overall wordcount goes down. Yesterday was truly exceptional, with lots of fresh scenes.

But I'm liking the result. Editors do have good ideas sometimes. :)

It's just a book about people. That's all I want to say about it right now. My agent handles only literary fiction, so I guess that's what it is.

Sorry if I'm asking you things you've already stated in other threads, but I'm still interested in more detail...

Is this the first time you've written a novel? Do you plan to publish, or already have a publisher lined up for this work?

Have you published anything else?

hey that sounds cool!! i bet it was a hard piece of work, you should celebrate a little!! :D be proud of yourself!!

Motokid said:
Sorry if I'm asking you things you've already stated in other threads, but I'm still interested in more detail...

Is this the first time you've written a novel? Do you plan to publish, or already have a publisher lined up for this work?

Have you published anything else?

Of course I plan to publish! I've been a professional writer for about 7 years, and publish frequently. I've published several short stories, essays, interviews, profiles, journalism assignments. I've focused on fiction for about 5 years now. My agent asked me to write a novel, so that's what I'm doing. He has several editors reading it.

Before I started writing full time, I did acquisitions and developmental editing for publishers in NYC, so I'm pretty experienced (!) in the field. But of course as a writer, one is working from the other end, so I take editorial and agent advice quite seriously.

It's certainly the longest work I've done, but far from the first. My first published work came out in about 1993. But as an editor, I've had my name on publications since 1987, and was an anonymous editor before that.

Titles please. Can we have titles? Is there some way those of us can view, purchase, and/or otherwise get a glimpse into the real novella?

Web page maybe? Something?

Self-promote please.

Sorry, no can do. My agent made me promise not to post anything, especially my writing, on the Internet, and he would be very mad indeed if he found out how much stuff I put up here right now. It's a big no-no.

Not even stuff you published 7 years ago? I did not mean for you to put up what you're doing now, I meant past work. Is that off-limits too?

Absolutely. It's just something you're not supposed to do. It doesn't play well at the publishers when they google you and find a bunch of stuff that's irrelevant to the main mission. They hate it, for good reason.

novella said:
Absolutely. It's just something you're not supposed to do. It doesn't play well at the publishers when they google you and find a bunch of stuff that's irrelevant to the main mission. They hate it, for good reason.

i can understand that, but i'm sorry too!! i would love to know more about this !!
are you excited (sp?) about publishing your first novel??

novella said:
Yeah, but I'll be more excited if the publisher really gets behind it. Have to wait and see.

is it hard to depend on all this people for your book??
do you illustrate it or do you have any right to say something about the cover??

No, it's great. They do all the stuff I don't want to do or can't do.

For the cover, which is a long way off, they have a graphic designer work on a few ideas and I'll have a little input. In general, they don't want authors dictating that kind of thing. I have ideas of what I don't like in terms of cover art, but that's a specific job, and they know what works.

But cover art is really important, IMO, especially for a first novel.

Back