• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Yea I'd like to start reading some comics!!!

AlphaOmegaX

Honestly. I have 3 issues of Spiderman that I read from time to time. I like them. Any suggestions on where I should start? It would give me something to do :)

~Josh

Do you like to read superhero type comics or any kind? Humor, adventure, action? Do you also want suggestions for graphic novels?

If you're just starting out, and you're going the superhero route, you might want to go with the "Ultimate" line for Marvel or the "All-Star" line for DC, where they rebooted the major characters. The continuity and storylines might be a little easier to follow.

The main thing that bugs me about comics is that it's difficult to understand what's going on if you don't subscribe and read them every month. Last Friday a friend and I went to a hobby store and I was thinking of buying some comics, but every cover I looked at said, "Part 2 of 4" or "Chapter 5 of 6" or, worst of all, seemingly every DC title said "One Year Later", which means it's part of an ongoing storyline crossing through all their titles, which in turn is the continuing story from the "Infinite Crisis" storyline from last year.

Like I said in an earlier thread, this is why I rarely buy single issues and instead stick with TPBs or graphic novels, where I know the whole story will be in one volume. That way even if I don't know all the backstories I can at least read through the whole story of what's going on right now.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with writers, artists and publishers wanting to be more creative and produce these epic-length storylines; I just think they might bring in more outside readers if they found a way to ease you into the story w/o having to have read all the issues for the past five years just to understand what's going on.

Sorry Josh, don't know if I've been much help.

Thanks. I do like the superhero thing. I loved spiderman as a wee little kid. I'm almost 17 now but can still enjoy it.

~Josh

Lost in the Comic-Jungle Too!

Yeah, I really understand what you mean Fenster, about going into a comic-store and feeling "dazed and confused"!! I was just in a comic store the other day and I thought I'd lost my mind!

See, I used to be an avid comic collecter back in the day....my teenie-bopper days, that is....and I knew just about everything one could know about the Marvel Universe. So, when I stepped into that store, just to see how things were going on in Marveldom (actually, the cravings for Web-slinging have grown as of late!), I felt as if all those years of collecting had been a mere dream!!! Nothing was even remotely the same!!! Apparently the Avengers broke up, but now there's a New Avengers! (With Spidey AND Wolverine to boot!!!!!!), and what is the deal with the X-Men? I have no clue.

Basically, AlphaOmegaX (love the name Dude!), I'm in the same boat, and I kinda have begun to revamp my comic knowledge by doing what Fenster said, and that's reading those graphic novels which include whole storylines in them, so that I can do some quick catching up!!!! Since I get mine from my library, that can be frustrating too, as sometimes they don't have the following graphic novel so that I've got to wait to find out more!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!:eek:

Back