• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You gotta see this...

Motokid

http://maps.google.com/maps

Type in any address...as complete as possible and click the search button.

Then, in the upper right of the map click on "Satallite" (spelling?)

You can zoom in and see the roof of your house just about. The next version of this is supposed to bring you down onto the roof.

This is so freakin cool....have fun....you may discover things about where you live that you never knew about before.

Motokid said:
http://maps.google.com/maps

Type in any address...as complete as possible and click the search button.

Then, in the upper right of the map click on "Satallite" (spelling?)

You can zoom in and see the roof of your house just about. The next version of this is supposed to bring you down onto the roof.

This is so freakin cool....have fun....you may discover things about where you live that you never knew about before.

Yeah, I find these images pretty out of date. I've looked at them before, and I'm guessing they're five years old. The live sat images the gov't has access to can track everything a person does.

Yep. About 5 years old seems to be the age...it's still really cool.

I'd say for security reasons posting "live" images might create a problem.

In some cases a lot has changed in 5 years, and in others not so much. My neighborhood is 50 years old. With the exception od the additions of a few pools and a few porches/decks not much has changed. I could tell where a neighbor of mine had a tree cut down. It was a pretty large tree in his front yard. It's there in the picture, but not there today.

Anybody here care to let us have a birds eye view of where you live?

It's funny you posted this. My coworkers and spent most of Friday fooling around with this. Check out Niagra Falls, the Grand Canyon or even the Las Vegas strip. Also, an aerial view of ground zero absolutely blew me away. I've never been there so seeing how big of an area it is really surprised me!

Also, supposedly there's a similar site called keyhole.com or something where you can zoom in even further – possibly looking in windows close. I don't know if it's actually true because you have to pay for it but if so, it's very disturbing.

pwilson said:
Also, supposedly there's a similar site called keyhole.com or something where you can zoom in even further – possibly looking in windows close.

Google bought Keyhole and have repackaged it as Google Earth which I posted above.

Stewart said:
Google bought Keyhole and have repackaged it as Google Earth which I posted above.
Interesting. They said they weren't currently taking new users but looks like they no longer charge. Is it much different than the satellite maps version?

satelite.jpg

That's my house right there. The giant crater looking thing to the right is the Conneticut River. Sadly it's about 75 feet below the height of my house so I can't just dive in. Does make for some cool helecopter shots whenever they are looking for suicide victims in the river though.

I found my house on there. It appeared to be completely up to date. I found an old road that I never knew was there that ran behind my old school. Crazy.

I don't know if it's me being stupid, but I can't seem to get it to recognise my place. Does it only work for North American addresses?

Back