• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your January 2010 Book(s)?

Well, just for the record, my crystal ball is broken and Karnac the Prophet died a few years back, so I don't know exactly what I'll read this month or next, but here's the short list of candidates. These are the latest library requests:

The Crock of Gold-James Stephens
The Mountain of the Women: Memoirs of an Irish Troubadour-Liam Clancey
Noah's Compass-Anne Tyler(mostly for Mr. Abc, but I'll look it over too)
Someplace to Be Flying-Charles deLint

Predictable detours taking place, in unpredictable directions.

Started Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon but, about 30 pages in, it is going back on the shelf for a while. Maybe a long while.

Started The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa, as mentioned earlier, but it is going to have to wait also, because . . .

I'm going to start re-reading 2666 by Robero Bolano for a discussion that is starting mid-month, and doing that may finish the month's reading.

Vol 1 of Your Face Tomorrow still hasn't arrived, after about 25 days in the mail, but a libris still doesn't think it is lost. So it will probably turn into February's reading -- if a copy ever arrives.

And who knows when I'll ever get to the Trollope.

So that's the microcosm in detail -- confused, but normal.

Vol 1 of Your Face Tomorrow still hasn't arrived

Oh my. Either I've flipped out or I need to not pass go or collect $200 til I make an eye appointment. I thought for a nano second the title of this book was Your Face Still Hasn't Arrived....:blink:

Oh my. Either I've flipped out or I need to not pass go or collect $200 til I make an eye appointment. I thought for a nano second the title of this book was Your Face Still Hasn't Arrived....:blink:

It is a slightly weird one, so who knows? :innocent:

You'll have to let us know what you find out...My version might be more X-Files induced than vision issues... or maybe some combination of the two:innocent:
I'm hoping it has the long winding kinds of sentences I like. Faulkner has given me the bug.

You've got that right ABC -- everything helps. :)

Notecards are our friends:flowers:

Would I get too many strange looks if I attached a small dictionary to my belt loop? I'm among friends here, so I feel safe asking you folks:innocent:

Notecards are our friends:flowers:

Would I get too many strange looks if I attached a small dictionary to my belt loop? I'm among friends here, so I feel safe asking you folks:innocent:

:D Absolutely, the dictionary [and google] are your friends too, don't forget. I tend to <bracket> sentences, or parts of sentences I think need it, and then there is the wavy underlining method. ;) All with a light pencil of course! :innocent:

Your Face Tomorrow -- vol 1 by Javier Marias has finally arrived, and I have to say very nice words about Alibris. They have sent another one without a murmur when I told them it had not been delivered after more than two weeks. So it immediately goes to the top of my reading pile -- right alongside my re-reading pile which has 2666 by Roberto Bolano on it.:innocent:

Back