• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your thoughts on race...

lahondas

hi, i have a question for all. this being a "good" racial discussion.
i am german italian, from my mother. and carribean cherokee indian from father. i grew up with only my mother, teaching me to pretty much visualize my life in "white" terms. but i always felt like a mixed woman, who just felt quite confused of her race, but didnt care.
my husband is polish. so hes a bit "lighter" than me. lol personally i love all colors, and dont care what im catergorized as. some say im black, only cause im brown, and its considered that. some say im mixed, some say im mexican, maybe i look it a little. and some dont care, or dont know.
i would love to hear what others like me or not have to say. i know growing up was pretty hard. "black" kids didnt like me, some of them said i acted to white. then the "white" kids told me i acted too diffrent. i was in my own world just confused.
so many people dont realize how hard it is in life or us. applying for a job is quite annoying to me, having to put in "other" as my race in the aplication form, belittles me and confuses, and makes me feel inhuman. or in a conversation, the question, "so what are you" comes up. i usually say im a woman, and fake laugh, or say im human like you. is it just me who feels this way, who feels annoyed by the antics of some poeple, or is it alot of us.
i mean if you consider the considerably large factors here, we are all "mixed". we all have so many diffrent races in our backgrounds. my grandfather, of my mothers side, had told me, that his ancestors were iriquoix indian and imigrants from italy. i mean wow, whod a thought!
so to sum it all up, what do you feel about all of this?
thanks lahondas, mixed and proud!

if you would like to know what i look like, because your curious or whatever... write me at lahondas@cox.net, and ill send you my picture!

What an amazing heritage! I'm sorry you're finding it uncomfortable to deal with, but don't ever lose that pride in having had ancestors (and parents!) that defied the social morres and stirred up the pot a bit more. Having ancestors that are either German, English, or Irish, I obviously cannot relate to your experiences growing up.

I have a difficult time with racism because I truly don't understand it. I can honestly say "I don't see color". And regardless of your skin color, if I were to meet you and get to know you well enough, I would probably be one of those who would ask "What are you?" (as I tend to ask most people I know well). But, it would not be a question based on degradation, or malice, but simply an effort on my part to learn more about you and where you came from.

I realize not everyone is like me, but maybe you can take to heart that there are people out there who appreciate your uniqueness, and are even a bit envious of your diverse background. :)

you misunderstood me a bit tigress, i am not finding it uncomfortable to deal with at all. i like my color alot. and thankyou for your comment it was quite influential and helpful. your very kind.

I have a friend who is part Japanese, part Native American, but raised by white adoptive parents. She gets a lot of the same questions, as she is quite striking.

It sounds like you've done a good job of not letting people pigeonhole you, which is great.

Back