• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

1 great thriller and 1 bad one

chiangmaifalcon

I just finished reading Killer Instinct by Joseph Finder. It was one of few books I have read in a long time that I really could not put down until it was finished. It is story of a computer company executive who gets a former Green Beret a job at company, and the SF guy repays him by eliminating all the executive's competitors. it is very suspenseful but at the same time realistic, as Finder is very experienced in the intelligence business. I also loved his novel paranoia.

The bad one is the novel With No One as Witness, by Elizabeth George. I usually enjoy her novels, although I am somewhat tired of the personal problems of the main characters, but I could not even finish this book. For one thing, it is much too long for the plot of this novel. It is a serial killer story, which has been done to death anyway, and this one is pretty much the same as most every other serial killer story. Most of her mysteries are about murders commited by people the murderer knows, and I think Elizabeth George should stick with this as she is much better at it.

Once again I just finished 2 detective novels and 1 was good and 1 was bad, in my opinion.
Lost Light by Michael Connelly was the good one. I love all the Harry Bosch novels and he is probably my favorite fictional police detective, though retired in this book. The mystery was hard to figure and somewhat implausible perhaps but it was so well written I didn't care.

The bad one was Cross by James Patterson. This one was nothing but senseless sadism and gore and ridiculous as far as I am concerned. The killer is the usual serial killer type who is basically a loser who takes out his own inadequacies and inferiority complexes by murdering helpless and innocent people in order to try to feel like an actual tough guy. This was the first Patterson novel I have read and others have told me the others are better, so I picked up one called Cat and Mouse at library and will give this one a chance.

Reading The Black Echo by Micheal Connelly very interesting Novel,unlike The Poet.

Cross is where I got my user name,plus it is the second best in the Cross Series.

1 Great thriller: Bulldog Drummond by Sapper - witty, fun, and unpredictable. Capt. Hugh's a man after my own heart, biffing the filthy boche!! By Jove, that's the spirit!! And it's got a nasty bath. No, really, that's not a typo.

1 Bad thriller: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown - I wish it HAD been lost . . .

I did not know there were Bulldog Drummond novels. I knew there were old radio shows and moives. I would like to read one.
I actually just read 1 good mystery and 2 really bad oens. Actually could not finish bad ones. Good one was Cursed to death by Bill Crider. Like Andy of mayberry story with murders but I enjoyed it.
Bad ones were State of Mind by John Katzenbach and Death Trip by lee Weeks.
First one is ridiculous story of future super violent society in America. Totally unbelievable. I started reading Death trip because it takes place where I live but is just a lot of sadistic trash with numerous factual errors regarding napalm, Burma nd many other things.

Hostage by Robert Craise. Great action and great suspense. The character interactions are the best part of the book though.

I'm a Finder fan also, just finished his latest-"Vanished". Good read.

I'm a John Sanford fan too, I keep up to date w/ the prey series, but I like the new Virgil Flowers series also.

I just got John Sandford book from library, but lent it to a friend. It is a fairly new one and not about Lucas Davenport. I forget title as usual, but it is political thriller and the hero is former military intelligence operator.

Post the title when you can. It may be a Virgil Flowers novel, in the Davenport series, John Sanford wrote Lucas as getting a gift certificate from his wife for itunes and Lucas was trying to make a list of songs to buy, well Sanford put his top 100 favorite songs in the back of the book, did you read that one?
That book started me on a quest for music and turned into a pretty fun hobby.( I tend to blather on, don't I?)

I'm a Finder fan also, just finished his latest-"Vanished". Good read.

I'm a John Sanford fan too, I keep up to date w/ the prey series, but I like the new Virgil Flowers series also.
I want to read Rules of Prey bad,I got the first nine books at home. I can't understand it though,so I will wait a while to read it.

Yes it is same story. Novel is by Dennis lehane. I started reading it but lent it to a friend, but seemed pretty interesting, as far as I got in it.

Back