• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

1001 books you must read before you die.

Thanks! But it's not like I'm trying to read them all or anything. It's funny, however, to realize that each year I seem to read a few more books from the list.

Yes and don't you just love the smell of new books? I must admit to now being curious about how many books I have read over the years.

Sparhawk,
Yes, I love everything about having a new book in my hand. And the ones which are even remotely appealing I have a hard time putting down. :sad:

Regarding a life list, I know the feeling. I wish I had the titles of all the books I have ever read but it is never too late to start, even though there is of course no hope of remembering many/most of them. But the books I did remember were the outstanding ones (almost by definition of remembering them) and gradually, over the course of a few days, other books came to mind. I think that if you start now, sooner rather than later, you'll be surprised at the titles you remember and, equally important, why you remember them.

My list is not so long -- I wish I could find it -- but, when I looked at it, I realized it said a lot about what I was like as a child, and why I grew up as I did.

Cheers and happy reading,
And remembering
Peder

I didn't think I had recently read so many from the list, but I didn't think there would be only one since my last update here on 6 November 2011 :eek:. It is (and in graphic novel format, no less!):

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Anyway, total now bumped up to 140, still below half of my short list of 300 hopefuls.

Cheers to all who are doing better. :flowers:

Slowly, ever so slowly . . .
Peder

Sparhawk,
Yes, I love everything about having a new book in my hand. And the ones which are even remotely appealing I have a hard time putting down. :sad:

Regarding a life list, I know the feeling. I wish I had the titles of all the books I have ever read but it is never too late to start, even though there is of course no hope of remembering many/most of them. But the books I did remember were the outstanding ones (almost by definition of remembering them) and gradually, over the course of a few days, other books came to mind. I think that if you start now, sooner rather than later, you'll be surprised at the titles you remember and, equally important, why you remember them.

My list is not so long -- I wish I could find it -- but, when I looked at it, I realized it said a lot about what I was like as a child, and why I grew up as I did.

Cheers and happy reading,
And remembering
Peder

Peder

Yes it is interesting how the books we read when we are growing up shape us, even the books that I read now change how I see the world. I think that besides a few other reasons is why I have such a quirky sense of humor.

I'm just glad #837 was on the list. I was about to get violently disagreeable if it wasn't. :devil2:

And I still haven't read it. /ducking/ :sad:

Perhaps *annoyed* would've been the better descriptor, one person's list is another's, well, inadequate list.

Loved TBK, I've probably read it four times, always something new with each reading. Read awhile back that a professor believed that Dostoyevsky intended for Alyosha to progress through to a certain state where he would be a non-believer of some sort who came to see the shortcomings of life. I have to wonder if the prof. is reading the same book. Oh well, on to "deconstruct" some coffee and toast.:)

Perhaps *annoyed* would've been the better descriptor, one person's list is another's, well, inadequate list.

:lol: Gotta love that, SFG! You've always had a way with words. :flowers:

Some day, some day I'll get to it. When I have only biggies left. :rolleyes:

Same problem, I haven't heard of many of these authors. I've read exactly nine. It's a matter of opinion as well...I feel "The Fire Next Time" is a more significant book than "Go Tell It on the Mountain".

As we think new thoughts for the New Year, this topic might be worth a look.

I'm going to check to see if I have added any. Most of my reading seems to have been off-list, so this year I am going to try to remedy that a bit -- read more of the classics. In fact, that sounds like the beginning of a list of resolutions.

So, resolved that:
1. I shall read more classics, (beginning with Washington Square by Henry James).
2. I shall buy many, many fewer books.
3. I shall read from the shelves of books I already have.
4. I shall complete my Decades Challenge elsewhere.
5. I shall complete my Memoir.​

Not urging anyone anything. Just sayin'. :D

May you all have your best New Year ever.
Cheers!
Peder

Last edited:

I have only read 108 books from the list. And I thought I was well read. I must admit I am unfamiliar with some of the titles mentioned and noticed some that were not included that I would definitely listed. That is the trouble with lists, however... you can please some of the people - some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time...

Back