• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

2003 Book of the Month Choices

Some sci-fi might be good, especially with our new sci-fi & fantasy area opening up.

The books should be availiable in paperback so that people can get hold of them relatively easily.

Hi.
I hope this isn't a really stupid question but what is 'Book of the month'? Do you nominate books for a group read and then discuss them or have I got the wrong idea?

Originally posted by Deerskin
Do you nominate books for a group read and then discuss them or have I got the wrong idea?
That's the general idea. Some months it seems more popular than others. I'm still trying to get time to track down a copy of this month's read.

Hopefully we can plan the next few months and give people enough notice to locate the books.

Thanks Darren :) I like the idea of a 'group read' and discussion and am keen to read January's choice (though I don't expect to be finished in time to join the discussion - my 'to read' list is growing all the time!)

'Life of Pi' sounds like a good one - I've heard a lot about it but haven't read it yet. However, as far as I'm aware it's only available in hardback at the moment?

I also like the sound of The Forge of God - I picked this book up today in a charity shop but didn't buy it - perhaps I'll go back and get it!

Originally posted by bluewillow
Life of Pi is out in paperback so it should fit the criteria for book of the month:)
I would be up for Life Of Pi

For those who do not know the book (me included), a quick search on Google for reviews gives:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Nearly finished The Gunslinger :)

Dave B.

Deerskin wrote:

I also like the sound of The Forge of God - I picked this book up today in a charity shop but didn't buy it - perhaps I'll go back and get it!

Indeed, you won't be disappointed. This is Greg Bear at his finest.

How about The Legend That Was Earth by James P. Hogan? (Just finished that one.)

How about The Forge of God for February, and Life of Pi for March (it's out in paperback in the UK 6th March 2003)?

Originally posted by Darren Lewis
The Forge of God for February, and Life of Pi for March
Sounds good to me, especially as I've just rung my partner and she has both in stock and is bringing them home from work for me ...... Ah, one of the few advantages of sleeping with a Librarian ;)

Dave B.

OK, unless anyone else has any suggestions, we'll confirm those for Feb & Mar.

Any ideas for the other months. If we can give people enough they'll have time to find the books and maybe get a head start if they want.

How about something Tom Clancy in April, or another action/thriller writer?

Harry Potter would seem good for June with the release of the new book towards the end of June. Possible book 4 as the June book, and maybe the new fifth book as July (I know it's not out in paperback then but most of the dedicated fans will be buying the hardback).

Great idea about Harry Potter. I haven't read book 4 but already read all 3. Will do read book 4 in June.

We still need to decide what are to be the books for April & May.

How about something action/thriller?

It's good to try to spread the genres around and encourage new thoughts. I'm sitting out this month's as I've got too much on my schedule to devote a lot of time to reading at the moment. Will want to get back to it for April though...

Back