• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

24 Hours

theoptimist

So, What books have you read in a day?

My most recent ones were About A Boy - Nick Hornby and 28 Days Later - Alex Garland.

theoptimist said:
About A Boy - Nick Hornby

I read that in a day last year.

My average is three or four days per book. I guess last month I scored with Kenzaburo Oe's "J" and "Seventeen", but they're rather short.

wilderness said:
I read no second chance by Harlan Coben twice. I just couldnt put it down.

Lani
I read Tell No One by Harlan Coben in a day last year. His books do seem to be page-turners! Very fast paced :)

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, Weight by Jeanette Winterson and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis, although they're pretty small and don't really count. I have been going pretty well in regards to reading so far these holidays, having finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (1008 pages) in 4 days and Alias Grace (534 pages) in 2 days. I'm hoping to have Girl With a Pearl Earring finished tomorrow (not started yet, but I'm hoping to read a little before I go to bed) :)

theoptimist said:
I read Tell No One by Harlan Coben in a day last year. His books do seem to be page-turners! Very fast paced :)
I love his 'stand alone' books. He has a new one coming out I tried to order in on Zooba, but evidently it hasn't come out yet, but they were advertising it......Promise Me. And yes, they are certainly "day reads".
I've read a few of his Myron Bolitar series, and like them too, but I want to read them in order.

pontalba said:
I love his 'stand alone' books. He has a new one coming out I tried to order in on Zooba, but evidently it hasn't come out yet, but they were advertising it......Promise Me.

I've read a few of his Myron Bolitar series, and like them too, but I want to read them in order.
Myron Bolitar series? I wasn't aware that he had a series. Do you know the names of these books and the order of them? Thanks :p

I've read The Innocent, Gone For Good and Tell No One so far, I do hope these aren't in the said series!

I have not read but a few of them, but the first of the series is Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) by Harlan Coben.The protaganist is a Sports Agent/Detective. Cool guy. :D

pontalba said:
I have not read but a few of them, but the first of the series is Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar Mysteries) by Harlan Coben.The protaganist is a Sports Agent/Detective. Cool guy. :D
Thanks pontalba! *High Five* I want to read these in order too :cool:

The Penelopiad most recently I think. Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. I also like to read Teen/YA books and they're usually a quick read.

The only books I recall reading in a day were Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk and Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton. Both were very slim books...

A couple of the Potters - the shorter ones, The Old Man and the Sea, Animal Farm, and The Great Gatsby. Nothing very long.

I read a lot of books in a day (usually on Saturdays). The latest, I think, was Before You Knew Kindness (Chris Bohjalian)

I've been doing a lot of reading lately (it's easy when you are working and have officially given up on sleep) and I've finished a few books in a day. I've been reading a box full of Christopher Moore, Christopher Buckley, Tom Robbins and Nick Hornby. A friend gave them to me after I finished reading Lamb and Thank You For Smoking. I've finished a number of them in less than twenty four hours. I find that all of these authors are good for reading for less than fifteen minutes at a time if necessary. I just try to find as many fifteen minutes as possible these days, and I've had a number of book and a half days.

The only ones I can remember right now are:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (one sitting)

The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (one sitting)

The Last Juror by John Grisham

The Sea of Swords R.A. Salvatore

Well, that last one I think it was more like 1 day and one sitting on the following day.

The fifth Harry Potter book. I cried, too. My favorite character died.
There are more than that, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head...oh, I think I did one of the Bartimaeus or Artemis Fowl books in one day as well. Novel-wise, I can't do that very well unless it's easy.

I so often plan on reading books in a day when things become an obstacle to that goal... Yet the most recent book that I read in a day was The Rape Poems by Frances Driscoll, but it was a thin volume so it didn't take very long at all. Some other books that I have read somewhat recently in a day were also Emmuska Orczy's The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel and The Triumph of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm a very rabid Pimpernel fangirl.

I read The Time Traveller's wife in a 24 hour period, an that includes about 8 hours of sleep in the middle. Most recently I read Dan Savage's The Kid in about four hours.

Back