• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

5 Favourite Books

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
1984 by George Orwell
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
American Gods (Neil Gaiman, who needs to quit wasting time on other stuff and write more novels)
Time and Again
To Kill a Mockingbird
Great Gatsby
Mark Twain's every utterance

Getting a little post happy for my 1st visit, hope no one minds . . .

1. Atlas Shrugged -- Ayn Rand
  2. Frankenstein -- Mary Shelley
  3. A Tale of Two Cities -- Charles Dickens
  4. Riders of The Purple Sage/The Rainbow Trail -- Zane Grey
  5. The Sum of All Fears -- Tom Clancy
    [/list=1]

This is hard. Only five? It changes, but at the moment (in no particular order):
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
The Cider House Rules - John Irving
Harry Potter (I'm such a kid!) - JK Rowling
Lives of the Mayfair Witches - Anne Rice
The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson.

I suppose I'm cheating a bit as I've chosen two series. Never mind!

5 of the best for me, today anyway. No order

Starbuck series ..... Bernard Cornwell
Magician series ... Raymond E Feist
Robinson Crusoe .... RLS
Red Storm Rising .... Clancy
Aubrey / Maturin series .... Patrick O'Brian

Would have made 6 if I said 'something by Cussler', just can't pick one, they're all good. Possibly Vixen 03 as that was the first one I read and it got me hooked.

Starbuck series ..... Bernard Cornwell

Gah!! How much longer can he keep us waiting for the fifth one anyway!! He must run out of Sharpe books soon, surely?? :confused:

Phil

Originally posted by fluffy bunny
One thing Jonno- Robinson Crusoe was written by Daniel Defoe, not RLS :confused:

Oh yes, so it was !!

Yes phil ... absolutely although this is from http://www.bernardcornwell.net/ ... ''I sent Nathaniel Starbuck on an extended vacation. I fear he is still enjoying that. So will there be more Starbuck books? I hope so, but I don't really know when''

Personally, though Sharpe is a darned good read, I do think it's getting a little bit overcooked now. What would the British Army have ever done without him I wonder ........

Well they wouldnt have won any battles for about forty years, the French would have India, Napoleon would rule Europe and we would generally be wondering around going 'Zut Alors, ze weather 'ere is coold' :D

Phil

My top 5 reads (in no particular order):

Tolkien: Lord of the rings trilogy.
Austen: Pride and prejudice
Follett: The Pillars of the Earth
Ib Michael: Kejserens Atlas (The emperor's atlas)
Jan Guillou: Arn-trilogy

This is tough. Here are some of my favorites:

-Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
-The Buzzing - Jim Knipfel
-Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
-You Don't Know Me - David Klass
-Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Toilken

Armerican Psycho - Easton-Ellis
Brave New World - Huxley
1984 - Orwell
Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury
His Dark Materials - Pullman

My current faves, today at least, and in no particular order are

London - Edward Rutherfurd - brilliant book, made me really enjoy my visits to London.

Treasure Island - R.L. Stevenson - One of the first "grown up" books I read.

Diary of Anne Frank - I felt like an evesdropper when I read this. Always reduces me to tears at the total injustice of it all. Visiting her house is on my "things to do before I die" list!

Any of Agatha Christies' books - I know, I know that means it's more than 5, but I find it impossible to choose a favourite :p

Narnia Chronicles - C.S. Lewis - again, more than one book, but had I not read these then I probably wouldn't have gone on to read Tolkien.

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Trillogy - Tolkien - I was given these by an ex boyfriend to take my mind of the long train journeys to and from seeing him. I managed to lose myself in these books and the time passed in an instant. I think the movies are very true to form, although I would have loved to have seen Tom Bombadill created in celuloid.

The Chamber - John Grisham - Hard to pick just one of his books, so I picked this one. I am a big fan of his work and have all his books.

Quite hard coming up with a top 5 - I think im there, then keep thinking of another one.

Ok, here goes (and im sure i would have changed my mind a minute later ) -

The Rotters Club - Jonathon Coe
The House of Sleep - Jonathon Coe
First Blood - David Morrell
Mother of God - Cant remember the author
Hiddeaway - Dean Koentz

Foundation and Empire - Asimov
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Heinland
Heku - Moulton
Any Sax Rohmer

Back