• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Bed Of Red Flowers-Nelofer Pazira

abecedarian

I just finished reading A Bed of Red Flowers and thought to see if anyone else has read it, or would like to discuss it. Aside from the author's habit of hopping around chronologically, I enjoyed it very much. Once again I'm reminded how blessed I am to have so much personal freedom and safety. The book is a memoir, describing life in Afghanistan during the Russian invasion and subsequent Taliban rule.

I'll have to give that one a try. But I did read a book about better times in Afghanistan, a book by Tamsin Ansary, shoot, if i can recall the title! Think it has "New York" in there somewhere... anyhow. It's by an afghan-american guy of the sixties generation, recalling his early days in the old country. It offers very interesting insight on how the Taliban gained credence there in latter years.

I was suprised to find how relaxed things were for women before the Taliban came to power. I just figured that women had always had to cover up..

Yeah, his reminiscences include all manner of nonrestrictive activities.Thanks to the library, my memory is better refreshed and his name is actually Tamim Ansary, book title, "East of New York, West of Kabul."

I love reading books by ordinary people who have lived through extraordinary time. A Bed of Red flowers was completely engrossing and had me completely gripped form the first page.

I was suprised to find how relaxed things were for women before the Taliban came to power. I just figured that women had always had to cover up..

The Taliban have a hell of a lot to answer for. I won't bore you by getting into their history etc, but I will say that they are a faction of the muslim community who are said to be ignorant/uneducated (which goes back to their origins) about Islamic history & teachings. They tend to have stronger links to old tribal laws than to Islamic law.

Gem said:
The Taliban have a hell of a lot to answer for. I won't bore you by getting into their history etc, but I will say that they are a faction of the muslim community who are said to be ignorant/uneducated (which goes back to their origins) about Islamic history & teachings. They tend to have stronger links to old tribal laws than to Islamic law.
Gem,
Actually, I would be very interested if you could suggest a book, or books, about the diversity of Islamic history and teachings/beliefs. I guarantee you I won't be bored! I have looked at and read several and they have been either general 'main-line' history, or else single-issue and narrowly focused. It is a subject I have been trying to understand better since 9-11.
Sincerely,
Peder

Hello Peder,

I have looked at and read several and they have been either general 'main-line' history, or else single-issue and narrowly focused.

I've always had that very same problem. There are so many divisions, and such a rich history - Islam is in pretty much every corner of the world so understandably the history of it is monumental and therefore probably difficult to condense.

However this book may just be what we're looking for:

Islam: Religion, History & Civilisation by Seyyed Hossein Nasr

I do have a list somewhere, of a few other books - i'll see if i can find it.

You seem to already have some knowledge of Islam, but you may still find this online article of interest. It basically details the histories of the main divisions in Islam, from the Sunni's & Shi'tes to the Wahhabi's and Deobandis(otherwise known as Taliban): Here

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to discuss the subject further.

Gem said:
Hello Peder,

I've always had that very same problem. There are so many divisions, and such a rich history - Islam is in pretty much every corner of the world so understandably the history of it is monumental and therefore probably difficult to condense.

However this book may just be what we're looking for:

Islam: Religion, History & Civilisation by Seyyed Hossein Nasr

I do have a list somewhere, of a few other books - i'll see if i can find it.

You seem to already have some knowledge of Islam, but you may still find this online article of interest. It basically details the histories of the main divisions in Islam, from the Sunni's & Shi'tes to the Wahhabi's and Deobandis(otherwise known as Taliban): Here

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want to discuss the subject further.
Hi, Gem,
Thank you very much for your response and those two links. I'll surely read the one and probably buy the book for the other. My own knowledge is rather haphazard. A way back when, I read T.E.Lawrence's well-known book, which I suppose was The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, but that title doesn't ring a bell any more. (Is there some other assiciated with his name?) I know a little of Islam at its early historical peak, when it was settled up into Spain. And, since 9-11, I have looked at some of the 'why-did-this-happen' literature and found it a little frenzied, being written up so close to the event. But two of the quite readable books that I have since then are Robert Spencer's Onward Muslim soldiers and Dore Gold's Hatred's Kingdom They focus on Islamic terrorism in specific detail, and I have since been looking for something to provide more of an overview and more of a balance to round out the picture. It sounds like your two links are just the ticket.
So, thank you very much for your kind response,
Peder

Hello Peder,

I read T.E.Lawrence's well-known book, which I suppose was The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, but that title doesn't ring a bell any more. (Is there some other assiciated with his name?)

The name T.E.Lawrence rings a very loud bell, theres a strong link to Orientalism (coincidently, there's a thread about Edward Said's Orientalism) but i'll have to go and check it out to be sure.

Gem said:
Hello Peder,
The name T.E.Lawrence rings a very loud bell, theres a strong link to Orientalism (coincidently, there's a thread about Edward Said's Orientalism) but i'll have to go and check it out to be sure.
Hi Gem,
I just browsed the Seven Pillars of Wisdom in the store today and it looks like very readable and interesting autobiography, but it doesn't remind of the book I read. I thought Lawrence himself had written a history of the Arab peoples, but I don't see any such now. I remember being attracted by the subject, very especially because of its noted author.
In any event, Islam: Religion, History, Civilization is now on hold for me, waiting for me to pick it up, together with a large volume called Jihad. So, they together with the two I mentioned in recently purchased will keep me for a while.
Peder

Hello Peder,

I was searching for more works by T.E. Lawrence when I came across this site. It has a copy online of The Wilderness of Zin by C.L.Wooley & T.E. Lawrence, which is an archaeological report from their travels to Palestine.

Not sure if it's to your interest, but its definitely worth a look.

Here

Gem,
The table of contents by itself is worth the look. Fabulous! That is so different from anything I ever expected to come across that it is wonderful.
Many many thanks, :)
Peder

No, thank you for mentioning T.E.Lawrence.

The Wilderness of Zin - I was hooked by the Introduction.

Back