• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A book you would suggest for someone getting into reading

Daniel Bell

My brother in law saw me reading and said that he would read some but he doesn't really know anything good to read. What suggestions would you give for him. He's about 25.

I was thinking of buying him Survivor by Palahniuk. I like that one a lot and it's easy reading. And thought it was humorous and that a typical non reader could get into it. Any thoughts?

I would say Da Vinci Code I know a lot of people think it's total crap, but I think it's a good and fun book for somebody that does not read a lot. It's a fun and action packed novel. Really it's the equivalent of a Hollywood action movie in book form. So maybe that would be a good one to start him off? :)

Try I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. That's one of the best books ever.

Survivor is gorgeous but you have to be a bit twisted to enjoy Palahuniks books.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr It's a suspensful mystery set in the late 1800's or early 1900's (can't remember). I loaned my copy to a friend who never reads and needed something to do on the train. He said it made commuting out to Long Island interesting.

SillyWabbit said:
I would say Da Vinci Code I know a lot of people think it's total crap, but I think it's a good and fun book for somebody that does not read a lot. It's a fun and action packed novel. Really it's the equivalent of a Hollywood action movie in book form. So maybe that would be a good one to start him off? :)
I vouch for this. I've got a cousin-in-law who hasn't read in ages, but she was more excited than a bouncing bunny when she picked up and started reading Da Vinci's Code. She knew I had read it, and would talk to me about it continuously. I love this type of reaction from book readers. I bought her Angels and Demons for her to take back to Australia when her visit here was done.

I also sent her a picture of CERN which I took while I was in Geneva to supplement her Angels and Demons reading. :)

ds

I would recommend Matthew Reilly if your friend likes action movies. His novels are action packed, and fast paced.

Back