• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A non-fiction reader neurosis?

Hugh

Is there such a thing, or am I the only sufferer? I often get so excited about reading a book or other piece of material, that I can't actually concentrate and read it. Tonight is a great example, I have my Wall Street Journal and my Barron's and everytime I pick them up to read them I lose my concentration and my mind starts whirling in anticipation of the knowledge I am about to gain. I may start pacing the floor, or I may start daydreaming about future conversations about the material I'm reading now and how smart I will appear when I start shooting off my mouth on the smoking patio of my favorite cocktail lounge. Now, eventually I will get them read, (well it's late and I'm drinking wine, so if I don't get drunk I will read them), but why do I need to calm myself down in order to read? This isn't new, I've done this my whole life, as far back as elementary school. Sometimes it even affected my grades. I have never heard of anybody else in this same situation.

Could it be that the articles just aren't that interesting? Newsweek and Time have theme covers and Newsweek's latest one is about the top 100 corporate "green" businesses. I normally read Newsweek frontwards, backwards, and even upside down. With theme weeks like this one, I just pitch it.:innocent:

You sound like you are reading this material for the wrong reasons, viz., to spout bullshit at the coffee shop so you come off as smart, instead of for the pleasure of reading the material.

You sound like you are reading this material for the wrong reasons, viz., to spout bullshit at the coffee shop so you come off as smart, instead of for the pleasure of reading the material.

I have to say I disagree, and is that not a tad judgmental? Regardless, I do not suffer this to the extreme you describe, and am rather glad of it! But it means I can't advise you much, other than perhaps you should branch out into other genres or find a way to do/read more of what you love as a part of your life. I can't imagine that excitement about learning is a bad thing.

I have to say I disagree, and is that not a tad judgmental? Regardless, I do not suffer this to the extreme you describe, and am rather glad of it! But it means I can't advise you much, other than perhaps you should branch out into other genres or find a way to do/read more of what you love as a part of your life. I can't imagine that excitement about learning is a bad thing.

You obviously did not read the thread starter's post or lack reading comprehension skills.:whistling:

You obviously did not read the thread starter's post or lack reading comprehension skills.:whistling:

You are wrong on both counts; I simply assumed the better of two choices, that he was referring to debating competently with friends, not simply lording over them. He wouldn't have friends very long anyway if he did that. I simply had no reason to insult or assume the worst of someone who I nothing about, which you have now done twice. I don't want to fight with you or anyone, especially not in a forum, and I'm sorry if I offended you. This certainly adds nothing more to the topic, so I'm done here.

but why do I need to calm myself down in order to read?...I've done this my whole life, as far back as elementary school.
Some sort of early childhood trauma, perhaps? Now you are subconsciously bracing yourself for bad news? :confused:

Back