• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

a question about Sherlock Holmes

mister.man

hello everyone
i have a question about Sherlock Holmes
does Sherlock Holmes believe in a higher power ?
some people say he does believe in a higher power, and they gave me parts of the stories as their evidence
some people say that he was an atheist and became a believer and after his travels in the Great Hiatus his natural skepticism reasserted itself, and also they gave me parts of the stories as their evidence.
and some people say that he believes in Athens, the goddess of wisdom
so i am confused, please help me

P.S
i posted this question on the general discussion and crime, thrillers and mystery forums to get as many answers as i can.
(i hope I'm not doing anything wrong)

His views on the matter were inconsistent, to reflect whatever Conan 'I like fairies' Doyle happened to believe at the time of writing.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did have an active interest in the supernatural but his character Sherlock Holmes uses logical deduction to solve apparently supernatural cases.

From The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes, The Adventures of the Sussex Vampire

“This Agency stands flat-footed upon the ground and there it must remain. The world is big enough for us. No ghost need apply.”

Some of the Sherlock Holmes stories have a fantastic component to them but this is science fiction rather than supernatural fiction.

^ The OP's confusion comes from things like this:

The Boscombe Valley Mystery.

The man has only a few months to live, and Holmes tells him: “You are yourself aware that you will soon have to answer for your deed at a higher court than the Assizes.” After the man leaves, Holmes is silent for a while and then exclaims: “God help us! … I never hear of such a case as this that I do not think of Boswell’s words, and say: ‘There, but for the grace of God, goes Sherlock Holmes.
Copied from:The Religious Opinions of Sherlock Holmes. « A Case of Witchcraft

I can't be bothered digging out the books and citing pages, but I know Sherlock well. Sherlock of course believed in a higher power, and like many brilliant people would resort to opium to indulge his contact with it. Did he believe in fairies? Probably, in his heart don't we all? Did he believe in god? Probably. Not as an idol to worship in a church, but as an outlet to unite those who chose to focus on good. He probably believed in all religions insofar as they are real to the people in his life. Did he believe in the supernatural? Of course.

Interesting topic, and I look forward to hearing what others think.

A belief in God does not necessarily equate with a belief in ghosts and fairies. Sherlock Holmes does appear to have a conventional Victorian belief in God but his approach to apparently supernatural cases does indicate a high level of scepticism. Perhaps it's fair to say he would believe in the supernatural if he found definite proof...

Back