• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A question for the writers amongst us...

Well, I'm afraid I'm the lone wolf here. I write for money. Plain and simple. Writing doesn't "speak to me" as it does for my co-author. I'm fairly good at it and it pays better than most day-jobs. Some days it pays better than others, but I do like choosing my own schedule, so it's worth it in the long run.

I'm hoping that soon it will pay LOTS of money! :D

Cathy C said:
Well, I'm afraid I'm the lone wolf here. I write for money. Plain and simple. Writing doesn't "speak to me" as it does for my co-author. I'm fairly good at it and it pays better than most day-jobs. Some days it pays better than others, but I do like choosing my own schedule, so it's worth it in the long run.

I'm hoping that soon it will pay LOTS of money! :D

Well, no. I've been supporting myself through solely through writing since I stopped editing professional six years ago, and solely through fiction for several years. Also see Irene Wilde's post in a similar vein. I'm sure there are other paid professionals who post here.

But I thought Freya's original question was more to do with who your audience is . . . is it only yourself, do you write to please some imaginary reader, etc. Not about whether you make money doing it.

If I couldn't write for money, I would write some different things. That's because my imagined audience would be somewhat different. I have often adjusted my written voice for a client, particularly for journalism and reportage. Part of the business.

So, if we were in the music industry, Cathy C would be a manufactured pop band; popular, yet abhored by real 'artists'. At the other end we'd have Martin who's just plucking at his Gee-tar, in his room alone.

Freya said:
So, if we were in the music industry, Cathy C would be a manufactured pop band; popular, yet abhored by real 'artists'. At the other end we'd have Martin who's just plucking at his Gee-tar, in his room alone.

I think deep inside we are all singing into a hairbrush in front of the mirror.

Novella, compared to your depth and insight, I am a mere puddle. Like the ones you often find at RaVeNs feet. Ick.

Freya said:
Novella, compared to your depth and insight, I am a mere puddle. Like the ones you often find at RaVeNs feet. Ick.

Beautiful imagery, Freya. Keep at it!!!!! What color is the puddle? What shoes is he wearing???? :p

The puddle... hmm well it's surprisingly warm to the touch and kind of yellowy white. Maybe it's his vital fluids seeping out? He isn't wearing shoes, silly. Everyone knows RaVeN detests clipping his toenails, and thus has the longest toenails known to man. I do believe he's in the Guinness Book of Records. The nails themselves are a greeny brown shade. Quite revolting, especially combined with that nasty infection on his big toe.

A puddle? If you were a puddle, you would be the one that could reflect the amazing and stunning rainbows after a thunderstorm. A step back, you are more than a puddle. :p

is it only yourself, do you write to please some imaginary reader, etc.

Yes, of course, I write for others. It's why people pay for the writing. If an editor wishes edits, then so be it. I have no idea -- no bit of character or setting or plot that is not open to revision. So, yes, I write for the reader. The editor is the voice of the reader (or purports to be.)

Freya said:

Oh, and don't forget *rich*, Freya. Popular and RICH. :D

Anway, what is *art*? If it makes the general populace laugh, or cry or be the tune in the mouth behind the hairbrush, then it's all good. Even a "flash in the pan" rock group had their 15 minutes of fame, and some are now getting their second 15 by becoming jingles for cars and clothing and frozen food. My highest aspiration has always been to be a great "beach read". Something to make the world go away for a couple of hours. What finer art is there than to be beloved for a few moments of time by a million people? Is being loved for a million moments of time by a few people somehow better?

I think not. :)

I suppose this is how I see it Cathy C - what you do is entertain. I can't speak about writing, but I can about music. With music, I sat down, learnt how to read music, was taught how to play instruments, played what I had to in order to get through exams or get through a performance or progress to the next level. I can plan six instruments to differing standards, but at no point have I have considered it art, because it's not. It's going through the motions, and producing something that someone else liked, entertaining them. I'm left with the ability to play all these instruments, and whilst I've enjoyed it to some degree, none of it seems to belong to me. Hmm.

Freya said:
I suppose this is how I see it Cathy C - what you do is entertain. \

(Wow, I'm mean. Was in a bad mood. Sorry.The internet is like the Wild West sometimes, a lawless unforgiving land of bandits and kangaroos. Oh, wrong country.)

Ok, I shall rephrase.

To me Cathy C, I believe you attempt to entertain.

Better? Of course, I couldn't possibly comment on whether your writing does this, as I've never read any. And I don't believe you've ever graced our pages with any of your offerings?

:)

Come on gang there's not a writer--an aspiring writer anyway--that doesn't lust after that letter with a check in it. Its recognition, its acceptance, its a fulfillment of that desire to know that all your scratchings mean something to someone besides yourself. Even if it is an editor with a deadline and pages to fill. Nine and a half folks out of ten would sell their Mama's diary if the price was right and they got credit--don't look at me that way, its true!

And if not they're probably sitting on their stuff agonizing pinned between fear on one side and that desire for publication on the other. I've sent plenty of stuff off and none of its been published...yet. But I feel a lot better now that I've done it.

Freya said:
I can plan six instruments to differing standards, but at no point have I have considered it art, because it's not. It's going through the motions, and producing something that someone else liked, entertaining them. I'm left with the ability to play all these instruments, and whilst I've enjoyed it to some degree, none of it seems to belong to me. Hmm.

Why did you choose to learn? Was it your choice or were you pushed into it? Now that you have the ability to play the instruments, have you tried writing your own music, to your own moods and standards? If not, why not?

I realize its none of my business, but it makes me curious. My music, my painting and my writing were always both for me in some cases and for others in others.

Freya, what instruments do you play?

I'm not a musician. Just curious. And I greatly admire the accomplishment.

Bow down before my musical genius!

I began, as a young girl of 8, with the recorder. I don't remember how I aquired one, most likely it was something to do with learning it at school. Anyway, me being the genius I am taught myself the basics of reading music, from a handy little book someone gave me. Then I started learning the violin at school (I pity anyone whos child plays a stringed instrument... actually I pity anyone with children). A few years later a friend of the family offered to teach me how to play the piano. Then a secondary school I had the oppurtunity to learn the clarinet. Shortly after my sister gave up attempting to play the flute, so I inherited one, and taught myself that. A few years back I bought a guitar as it really anoyed me that I couldn't play it (to be fair I'm still pretty crap :p) and then I bought myself a sax during my year out as I'd always wanted one.

I wasn't forced into any of it. I have written my own music, but it doesn't really do it for me. I enjoy playing in groups, orchestras and the like, or else just playing whatever I fancy.

Did I answer everything?

Come on gang there's not a writer--an aspiring writer anyway--that doesn't lust after that letter with a check in it.
You'd have to send your stuff out to publishers to get that check (cheque), wouldn't you. Not happening.

Cheers

Martin said:
You'd have to send your stuff out to publishers to get that check (cheque), wouldn't you. Not happening.
Cheers

Why not?

Notice: This pointless and unnecessary note was added to bump the number of characters above the minimum number of ten. ;)

Because I don't feel the need to send it out - like I stated earlier, I write solely for myself.

Cheers

Back