• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Warning that I have arrived

Mmm, I like Turtle Soup. That and Alligator Soup. Just like I had last Summer in NOLA. You should all try it

Isabell said:
Mmm, I like Turtle Soup. That and Alligator Soup. Just like I had last Summer in NOLA. You should all try it
Yeah, turtle soup is ok. It tastes a little bit like chili. I like frog legs with my turtle soup.

Welcome! Welcome!

I have to say that this is already an extremely fascinating thread! Ah, the raging flames of debate have started. I chuckle because I find myself agreeing with bits of both sides of the argument-
I agree with Miss Shelf that there is greatness to be found in mass marketed books, that they cannot be dismissed
I agree with Terish that mass marketed books are certainly not free of OBVIOUS errors, and that reviews are simply opinions, nothing more, and I do not put any significance on them myself

As a reader, but a newly aspired writer, I am also curious about self-publishing- what exactly does that mean? How does one go about doing this? What are the pros/cons compared selling ones books through a major publisher?

I hope many more threads are even more heated than this, indeed, proper debate is the only way for civilization to progress!

Thanks for the comments, Narika.

To answer your questions:

1) What does self-publishing mean? It technically means that you published a book yourself. My first book was undeniably self-published. I paid to have it published. Almost all of the work was done by me.

My second book (and coming third book) was arguably self-published. I did not pay ANYTHING to have it published. The quality of PublishAmerica was also much friendlier and helpful than my first publisher (AND I PAID THEM). PublishAmerica however is very accepting of manuscripts, some of which are probably below accepted standards, so not snobbish and thus slandered by snobs.

What most considered being really published is to have a book accepted by a gateway snob company that makes claims of quality and control when they really only keep up a treadmill of mediocrity.

I sought the proper method to be published, then realized that I did not like the magazines that I was sending my material to (so I realized not to be surprised when they did not like my stuff). I thus quietly wrote for myself, but then in 2002 was convinced to start posting my stories on the internet. I have since gained the confidence to start publishing my stuff. I understand that I will not be a big name in publishing circles, but I am going to write anyway so have determined to at least be a fringe author advising others who also seek to get their manuscripts in book form or who actually seek to gain fame.

2) How does one go about doing this (becoming self-published)? It is easy. The internet will offer many routes. Everything from simple printers (you establish yourself as publisher, do ALL editing and formating, get the ISBN and such), to those that will do most of the work for you. The prices ranges from multi-thousand to only multi-hundred (it cost only about $650 for my first book, and the quality was very good). PublishAmerica is free, really, and their product was very good also (and their cover was MUCH better).

3) The pros of self-publishing is having control over your story. Most editing is only copy editing (that is, only spelling and grammar). What results is close to your voice and in your style.

The cons of self-publishing is having no marketing behind your book. It will not appear in book stores (people have to request it). Another con is that the reading level of people has dropped significantly, so they feel challenged by a little change in voice or style which often means that they drop your book with unfavorable reviews.

The pros of mass-market is that you will gain editors that will proof a book. Your voice will thus be reduced and your style formalized. You however will end up with a product that the normal reader will be used to so will accept. Oh, and you will have a marketing division behind you.

The cons of mass-market is that you lose the rights to your book. I have the copyright to my books, but those that go with a 'respected' publisher have their works copyrighted by the publishing company. Another con is that you become a cog in the wheel, and when you accept that they go for the base bottom level (to get the most readers), you must understand that you are part of the problem of lowering the quality of literature.

Now, will I become a hypocrit when I finally get accepted by a 'respected' publisher (it could happen, as I do have manuscripts moving around). I hope that my presence on the internet will remain, and you will be able to flame me if I get too snobbish. While I might work for the enemy one day, I hope to never become the enemy.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. Can you PM me how to go about getting one of your fine works?

Back