• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A Warning that I have arrived

TerishD said:
if bookstores were more open to independents, then I believe the readers would be better served

I disagree completely. Of course, it depends on the independent. If the independent is just some loser in a bedroom who started their own publisher then I'd be thankful to never see it in a shop.

Stewart said:
I disagree completely. Of course, it depends on the independent. If the independent is just some loser in a bedroom who started their own publisher then I'd be thankful to never see it in a shop.
OTOH, they could be the next....Nabokov. One man's loser is another man's _________________ (fill in the blank). :eek:

One man's waste is another man's treasure. One man's meat is another man's poison. But that would suggest that what suits one, may not necessarily suit another, which is true, but Nabokov surely doesn't fit the bill. Maybe Dan Brown or even Margaret Atwood, for example, but not our Nabokov.

steffee said:
One man's waste is another man's treasure. One man's meat is another man's poison. But that would suggest that what suits one, may not necessarily suit another, which is true, but Nabokov surely doesn't fit the bill. Maybe Dan Brown or even Margaret Atwood, for example, but not our Nabokov.

No Steffee, I meant what if Nabokov had to self-publish. That certainly would not have been classified as "some loser in a bedroom who started their own publisher" (quoting Stewart there).

IOW, a genius could be lurking out there not being able to publish, and should self publish.

Nabokov almost did have to self-publish, didn't he? I think by "some loser in a bedroom" Stewart wasn't referring to anyone like Nabokov though.

steffee said:
Nabokov almost did have to self-publish, didn't he? I think by "some loser in a bedroom" Stewart wasn't referring to anyone like Nabokov though.
True, I was simply playing devil's advocate. What If? Ya know...

I think if a self-published book was breathtakingly good, it would only be a matter of time before the word-of-mouth spread and the book would get snapped up by a major publisher.

Perhaps we shall see, soon enough.
But then again Nabokov is sold through bookstores, isn't he?
So I guess he must not be very good.

There are a number of successful authors that started by self-publishing. I do hope to join their company.

What I find to be major problem with modern novels is the method that it takes to become a novelist: you have to start with short stories (articles for non-fiction). I find that a good short story writer is often not a good novelist, and vice versa. I often speed-read a mass-market book because it drags for paagggeeeesssss, only to pick up around the ending. I often toss a mass-market book because they inject characters and situations that might work in a short story, but ruin the flow of the narrative and make the world inconsistent in a novel. Finally, a short story writer working on a novel is not doing something they like doing, so the work suffers internally (even as the short stories written in stolen hours during this time hold their quality).

I thus have chosen the self-publishing (for the sake of the argument, I will include PublishAmerica here) to showcase my writing talents, because there is not another way (besides luck) to jump directly into the novel market.

Steffee: I did, and should soon have one again. I have been IT Manager for Bill Lewis Lures (Rat-L-Trap fishing lures) for almost four years now. They are restructuring, and I was let go. No problem, I had the computer system running smoothly so I was relaxing most of the day. I have the experience to easily claim another job (the only problem is finding one in my area, but I do have contacts). Of course, there is a dream that one of the novels that I have in the pipelines with real publishers will hit, but publishers take their time and the earliest I really expect an answer (rejection or acceptance) is June/July by which I should be back working.

Hello TerishD, welcome to TBF. Good luck with your novels.

What types of turtles do you have? Do you raise them to sell or keep them as pets?

I have a number of turtles. Yesterday I was busy as I set up an aquarium for a number of baby red-ears. One of the aide's at my son's school was asking about a baby turtle, and I had told her that I don't expect to see any until May or June. Well, my brother came by yesterday, went outside to smoke, and came in with a baby red-ear. Well, I knew that they do not hatch in singles, so I was alert when I stepped out to my turtle yard. I saw a little swimmer in my big pool, and went in after it. Since I was wet, I went looking for the nest, and ended up finding almost a dozen.

I have the yard on one side of my house set up for my turtles. I have a male/female pair of red-ears which produce a number of babies each year. I have a half-dozen male/female three-toed box turtles. These are the ones most often found 'engaged,' but also the breed of turtles that I have the most problem getting babies (then getting them to survive). I have a snapper (my big pool was built to keep a couple of 40+ pounders, although the one I have is still under ten pounds). I have been attempting to establish some mud turtles, but the snapper has been eating them so I am presently planning a small-turtle area (there is a three-legged survivor still out in the turtle yard, and two others now living inside with an Asian Box).

I raise these animals purely out of love. Most of my babies are given away, but some years I have had so many that I was looking for things to do with them and some stores have given me credit for them.

Update

Thirty-two turtle babies! Came in from a meeting with some friends, and just went outside to bother my turtles. I saw a small hole, and recognized it as another 'nest' of hatchlings. I carefully started digging, then called my youngest (Jesse: 5). He came out and I showed him where the baby turtles came from. I was talking while digging them out, and they kept coming. I mentioned that this was the section of ground that my mother turtled liked to lay her eggs, then my hand hit a 'hole' where a second 'nest' was buried. We brought out 21 baby red-ears! With the eleven that I had picked up earlier, we now have 32 turtles in a 10 gallon tank. This is only the first of April, so it seems that this is a year that I am going to be turtle rich.

Back