• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

A - Z Game: Favourite books

Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice

The third book in the Vampire Chronicles. DON'T SEE THE MOVIE!

The Rising Sun by Douglas Galbraith.

Great story based on Scotlands doomed attempt to colonise South America. I don't understand why this book has not done better. I really enjoyed it.

S - Sirius by Olaf Stapeldon

I picked this up at a flea market for $2. I had never heard of Olaf Stapeldon, but I love old books and decided to try it.

It was a great story. It's about a dog made super-intelligent by his scientist master. He develops a strong friendship with the master's daughter which eventually grows more romantic. (The book is subtle on this, and I don't think anything physical is implied, it was just puppy love, I guess)

It reminded me of Gulliver's Travels. It was a smart satire and a very nice story. From what I've read about him, Olaf Stapeldon has a decent following. I've also read The Last Men and half of Star Maker.

Sirius so far has been the most accessible, but the others are very interesting as well.

Upside Down Inside Out by Monica McInerney

A lighthearted romantic novel set in Australia (Melbourne I think?), but written by an Irish author.

The typical girl meets boy, girl falls in love, big disaster so they can't be together ...happy ending.

Easy to read and quite amusing.

V = Victory by Joseph Conrad
Set on an island in the South Pacific, Victory is a novel about renunciation, salvation, and the ways of the world.

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card.

Card's third book in his Ender Wiggins saga. Not quite as good as the first two, but still very good.

To resurrect this thread and finish the game:

You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe

A semi-autobiographical book by Wolfe about an author who writes about his hometown and is villified by former friends and family.

Z - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig

Structured as a story about a father and son on a cross-country trip. But really about values and what's important in life.

Summary: A - Z Favourites

Here's our list of favourites from this thread (member who made the selection in parentheses):

A - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (Ell)
B - Beasts by Joyce Carol Oates (Wynter)
C - Consilience by Edward O. Wilson (HBinjection)
D - Das Boot - Lothar Gunther-Bucheim (Pilgrim)
E - Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Thomas Wolfe (HBinjection)
F - A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry (Pilgrim)
G - The Great Book of Amber--Roger Zelazny (Prolixic)
H - The Hobbit by J R R Tolkien (Darren Lewis)
I - In the Name of Sorrow and Hope, by Noa Ben Artzi-Pelossof (LMJenkins)
j - Jeeves and Wooster Omnibus - PG Wodehouse (Pilgrim)
K - Koko by Peter Straub (savage_henry)
L - Loop's Progress by Chuck Rosenthal (funes)
M - The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, Robert A. Heinlein (Prolixic)
M- Martian Time Slip by P. K. Dick (HBinjection)
N - Neuromancer by William Gibson (HBinjection)
N - Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami (Pilgrim)
O - On the Road - jack kerouac (booker)
P - A Prayer for Owen Meany (Pilgrim)
Q - Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice (Dawn)
R - The Rising Sun by Douglas Galbraith (Pilgrim)
S - Sirius by Olaf Stapeldon (HBInjection)
T - Thinks by David Lodge (Pilgrim)
U - Upside Down Inside Out by Monica McInerney (glenda)
V - Victory by Joseph Conrad (funes)
W - War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells (Prolixic)
X - Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (Ell)
Y - You Can't Go Home Again by Thomas Wolfe (Ell)
Z - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M Pirsig (Ell)

Don't know about you, but lot's of new titles for me to check out!

Murther and Walking Spirits

Murther and Walking Spirits , by Robertson Davies.

"Journalist Connor Gilmartin, having been unceremoniously murdered by his wife's lover, sits incorporeally next to his murderer at the Toronto Film Festival, watching from the afterlife as a filmic representation of the lives of his forebears is presented to him."

I adore Robertson Davies; he's challenging (in much the same way that A.S. Byatt is challenging), but he's well worth the extra effort he demands.

This book is part of a trilogy by Davies, and now he's dead and done writing, darn it.

Sure, why don't we? :) Is that ok with you Ell? Who else wants to play? Assuming it's game on... I'll start

with ...

A: Armageddon the Musical by Robert Rankin
Very funny book by a very funny man! Silly and surreal humour :D Contains a quest to save the world with a cast of characters including Elvis, Barry the time traveling brussel sprout, Christeen ( sister of Christ )... :)

Let's start over

stillILearn said:
You were all done playing. Well, can we do it again?
Sure, why not?

Starting with A:

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
One of Atwood's most easily accessible books. Basically a murder whodunnit told in Atwood's unique style.

Back