• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Adam Mansbach: Go The **** To Sleep

beer good

Awwww.

Go the **** to Sleep bedtime book is hit with parents | Books | guardian.co.uk

A tongue-in-cheek bedtime book for parents which exhorts children to "go the **** to sleep" has soared to the top of Amazon's bestseller chart a month before publication.

Written by novelist Adam Mansbach after his own daughter Vivien failed to nod off one night, the book, Go the **** to Sleep, combines cutesy rhymes with expletive-ridden pleas. Published by small US press Akashic Books, it was originally due out in October. But after a pirated PDF went viral, striking a chord with exhausted parents and catapulting the 32-page book to the top of Amazon.com's bestseller chart – ahead of memoirs by Tina Fey and Steven Tyler – it has now been pulled forward to June.

"The eagles who soar through the sky are at rest / And the creatures who crawl, run and creep. / I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. / Lie the **** down, my darling, and sleep," writes Mansbach in the book, illustrated by Ricardo Cortes. "The cubs and the lions are snoring,/ Wrapped in a big snuggly heap. / How come you can do all this other great shit / But you can't lie the **** down and sleep?"

Film rights have now been optioned by Fox 2000, and Canongate has snapped up UK rights in the title. It's "definitely not a book to read to your child", said the publisher, but "it will resonate with anyone who has ever spent 20 minutes, 40 minutes, four hours reading 'just one more bedtime story'."

"For me and many parents the Gina Ford sleep routine never quite worked," said Canongate editor Francis Bickmore, a father of two. "Bedtimes are precious but occasionally precarious times and I wish someone had given me this hilarious book sooner. It's an essential gift for any parent you know who lives in the real world."

Vivien is now three, and Mansbach says that she is sleeping better. "Initially the audience was me and my wife," he told the Associated Press. "It captures the frustration of being in a room with a kid and feeling like you may actually never leave that room again, that you may spend the rest of your life in that dark room, trying to get your kid to go to sleep."

Interesting corollary article: How Viral PDFs Of A Naughty Bedtime Book Exploded The Old Publishing Model

I don't think a book of this kind would ever have had a lot of readership when our children were small - I guess we weren't in the era of 'anything goes' at that time. :rolleyes:

"It is not a children's book and booksellers will not be selling it to children," said chief executive Lincoln Gould. "It is a very funny adult's view of how difficult it is to get children to go to sleep."

Below is From LA Times

Writer Adam Mansbach's childrens book parody "Go the F--- to Sleep" is the gift that keeps giving. Digital galleys of the book, which was released on Tuesday, went viral in early May helping it to shoot to the top of the Amazon best seller list before it was even printed. And now Samuel L. Jackson has recorded an audio version of the book, which is available, for free, on Audible.com.

Back