• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Adventure books (fantasy or not) in the vein of The Odyssey?

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is Journey by James A. Michener. Life of Pi came to mind too but it becomes excluded with the requirement of meeting lots of characters.

i also love travel ,adventure stories.Some of the exemple given are strange to say the least!!!
the one interresting reference is to Amin Maalouf who is to me one of the most brillant writer of our times.

Leo the african -Amin Maalouf (based on a real caractere)the story start in Spain during the reconquista to finish in Rome sacted by the lutherian_in betwin Fes morroco,tumbuctu,Egypte,Turquie_I read this book 5 times-historical adventure with a prose bordering poesie

the gentlemen of the road _micheal Chabon ,good but short

Water music -T C Boyle scotts adventurer try to find the source of the nile,hilarious and acurate

lots of the paul Theroux books are very interresting,on traveling.there is also michael Palin ,but he really is not a writer(one is ok)

if you like those i could advise for more

I haven't read it yet, but Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton sounds like what you are looking for.

I read Eater of the dead ,in this live "The last light of the sun" by Guy Gavriel Kay is way better-and so is the "Pale Horsman" by bernard Cornwell
Congo from Crichton was to bad (not ot good ether)
thanks anyway

How about On the Road or Big Sur by Jack Kerouac? Both are about journeys and meeting people along the way.

Indeed,you don't have to go far to travel,it mainly an attitude,a disponibility,vacancy.
But i alway loved really exotic places!!

Now your talking!!

being french,and as most of my country folks obsesse with food,every place i go i try to find ,supplies!the little restaurant,the grocery that got something special, even a street stole .

Back