• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Agatha Christie

good bcoz i havent heard a reference to her since i joined.
she is very intriguing because some books make you think that she is a fantastic author but some books are utterly horrible.
but the bottomline is that she is accepted as the queen of crime
my favourites are "ABC MURDERS" "MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS" and "ROGER ACKROYD"

I like "Mystery of the blue train", "Ten little Niggers" and "Peril at End House" (I don't want to boast, but I solved the mystery before Mr Poirot). I appreciate her ability to create deep characters and to manipulate the plot.

"ten little nigers" was awesome in its concept.mind blowing. i am sure everybody has atleast seen the movie
she has written too many stories of the "Peril at end house" type that is
the victim being the villain
. have you tried "cards on the table" ? i am sure people will like it for its concept
i pride myself on having read all of her books .. all 79 of them

I read "Cards", so did all books you mentioned as favourites. I noticed that all of them are in a way special, because murderers are unusual... "Cards" are great, as you have 25 % chance of guessing correctly. :) Well, I didn't- but it's only because of Mrs Oliver...

so who's your favourite detective?
mine is Poirot ofcourse followed by Tommy-Tuppence. i dont like Jane Marple.
did you know that Mrs Oliver was Christie's spoof on herself!!
that just shows her sense of humour though i am sure she wasnt like Oliver

and ....ahem .... any more agatha christie readers out there?

I also prefer Poirot to Miss Marple. Furthermore, I prefer him to Sherlock Holmes. I like T&T, too.
I suspected that it was a kind of autoirony...with Ariadne, I mean.

yup sherlock books are for kids.senseless thrill. what differentiates Christie from other authors is the handling of the psychology...of the crime , murderer and the detective and considering it of prime importance. she gives more focus on how the detective found the truth and approaches the climax that way

Originally posted by RaVeN
I guess I'm a 47 year old kid then.... and I strive to remain that way!

Bill

lol
:D
i know that Sherlock is the most popular detective ever.but i personally have been unable to accept that the stories are possible.they are thrilling yes but the deductions are too farfetched and as i have said somewhere..every action can have a thousand consequences and so predictions to that accuracy everytime are not possible
but then again everyone is entitled to his opinion

I have one of her book, not yet to read. It is Murder on the Orient express. Will read it one day, don't know when!

I read a lot of Agatha Christie when I was a kid, I should probably re-read it now cause I would get so much more out of it.

Is that the same book as "Ten Little Indians" and "And Then There were None?" The title written above would be COMPLETELY unacceptable in the states.

yes it is the same book
i understand this reason for changing the name of the book but otherwise i have observed that for no reason whatsoever the name is changed in the states.
like "The Moving Finger" was renamed "Poison Pen". what was the sense in doing that? just for the heck of it?there are several cases like this which just add to the confusion.
* whispers softly *
why did they change Philosopher's stone to Sorceror's stone?

Well, as for the title, I think that it wasn't offensive in Agatha's times.
"The Moving Finger",renamed as"Poison Pen"- is it that one about anonymous letters, and its main hero is pilot? Because the Polish translation was also like "Poison Pen".

yes its that one
well at least you can say that the new title is more attractive. but take the case of "Murder is easy" being changed to "Easy to kill"
even the meaning is same!!
even those who havent read the book will agree that the change has no purpose. it is neither more illuminating nor more concise

I think that such changes can be also misleading, because the books with different titles can be regarded as different books- well, maybe this is the case...
As I compare the original titles with the translated- there are sometimes not the same. Nevertheless, I claim that one book shouldn't have two different titles in one language.

Agatha Christie is an amazing author; no doubt about it.
I have, admittedly, read few of her books but every reading of every book written by her makes me hunger for more of her works.

My favorite work of hers so far has to be Murder at the Vicarage with Murder at the Links coming a close second.

Murder of Roger Acroyd was sensational, due to reasons well known to everyone who has read it; but it failed to make a big impression on me. Well not as big as the aforementioned books did.

Murder at the vicarage , if you observe closely , will resemble Roger Ackroyd in many ways. what i like most about that book is her sense of humour. the four old ladies and their typical gossiping strikes a chord. the story is pretty good

Murder on the links is one of her competent works during her peakdays. the story , if i may say so , is a bit sensationalised

The Mysterious Mr Quin is amazing in its simplicity. the 1st story is the best. but i would like to know who Mr Quin really stands for.

Back