• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Age guidance label for children's books?

Don't get me started. Sometimes, when visiting certain forums, I am speechless. When I was a kid, millions of years ago, we were kids with dirty socks, faces and hands when we returned home in the evening. Today mother teaches her child to use disinfecting wipes after touching whatever a child might touch. Depending on the social class of course. *sigh*

Great example! The ironic thing is that the anti-bacterial stuff is what just helps you spread superbugs, not really worth it.

What's a no-fault divorce ? I mean I can translate it but my translation doesn't make any sense to me. :D

In the mid-'70s, courts recognized divorce for basically any and everyreason, otherwise known as "irreconciliable differences." Conservatives blame "no fault" divorce for the explosion of divorce rates in America at the time.

Btw. I can't stand the phrase "quality time". It sounds forced but I still look through a childs eyes. ;-)

LOL-The saying basically told adults that they could be selfish and still be good parents. You could bust yourself at work and not feel guilty because that one hour you saw your kids at night would be worth it, as opposed to the five hours you chose not to be with them. At least, that's the judgmental interpretation.:D

recommendations are fine. I don't see why they're bothering with most books. (BTW, Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass wasn't really a warm, fuzzy kiddie book ...IMHO, I would slap a 13+ label on that)

LOLL, maybe you should show him the righ...getting back to the discussion...I like she's a tomboy,and I know she will change, so let her enjoy playing in the dirt!

Just kinda goofy...the expression "tomboy", of course I know what you mean but isn't it a bit goofy? I was always a bit of a nancygirl myself:p
But about labeling books, maybe it's helpful for some people as a guide, but if it's used to bar certain books from certain ages then it's covert banning.

I fail to understand the connect between publishers making an age recommendation on a book and using that to prevent children from reading?

My entire life books have come out with an age band on them of some kind - all it is is an guide to the approximate age that will find the book appealing. It helps with younger readers the most because you don't get a book with vocabulary and (sometimes) concepts that are beyond their ability.

Well, things like movie guidance things are just that...guidance in most cases. I think most truly "adult" books pick up enough of a rep to be categorized on their own. It's the teen and middle grade that you need a more refined look at what's in it.

Back