• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alan Moore: From Hell

Libra6Poe

This is what I'm currently reading. I started this last month after reading V for Vendetta. Moore is a talented writer who does very thorough research. School's been a little hectic for me lately, I'm only on Chapter 8 (out of 16) in this graphic novel. But I highly recommend this. If you run across this at the bookstore, be sure to flip to his endnotes and see his research for yourself. ;) (Thanks to Lenny Nero on the information and heads-up)

Amazon.com
The mad, shaggy genius of the comics world dips deeply into the well of history and pulls up a cup filled with blood in From Hell. Alan Moore did a couple of Ph.D.'s worth of research into the Whitechapel murders for this copiously annotated collection of the independently published series. The web of facts, opinion, hearsay, and imaginative invention draws the reader in from the first page. Eddie Campbell's scratchy ink drawings evoke a dark and dirty Victorian London and help to humanize characters that have been caricatured into obscurity for decades. Moore, having decided that the evidence best fits the theory of a Masonic conspiracy to cover up a scandal involving Victoria's grandson, goes to work telling the story with relish from the point of view of the victims, the chief inspector, and the killer--the Queen's physician. His characterization is just as vibrant as Campbell's; even the minor characters feel fully real. Looking more deeply than most, the author finds in the "great work" of the Ripper a ritual magic working intended to give birth to the 20th century in all its horrid glory. Maps, characters, and settings are all as accurate as possible, and while the reader might not ultimately agree with Moore and Campbell's thesis, From Hell is still a great work of literature. --Rob Lightner

I tried reading this a few years ago but for whatever reason I was thrown off course. Maybe it was the artwork, maybe it was the length... whatever the case, I didn't finish it ;). The movie was pretty good, though I understand that it left out a few scenes from the graphic novel.

Like the V for Vendetta film, Moore didn't like that one either (although David Lloyd - who co-created/illustrated V for Vendetta - said Moore wouldn't be happy with any movie unless they made it word for word...
But so far, half way into From Hell, I see they've left out A LOT of the graphic novel and reinvented some characters for the film.

I think that it's great! Couldn't put it down! Unfortunately I haven't read his 'comments' (couldn't remember the right word:eek: ) at the end as yet, but will eventually get around to it. The film is good to, but the comic better!

Back