• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Albany, not Albania

ggluek

Hi, I've been lurking for a while, but only signed up last month. I'm too close to 60, live outside of Albany, New York, read fairly omnivorously (both fiction and abstruse non-fiction (music, cosmology, science, adventure)). I like classical music, camping and hiking, art and theatre. Will often read when I should be doing something else -- but life is short. Mrs. Gluek reads mysteries, Victorian novels, and, occasionally, "chick lit". I like sci-fi, literary fiction, and certain classics -- and hold a few unorthodox views that I don't advertise (like, I tend to think Bigfoot-like creatures exist, and have Oxfordian sympathies -- but am neither dogmatic nor obsessive about either :)).

Cheers --

George Gluek

Hi Polly --

In tend to think that the Earl of Oxford had some involvement in the works of Shakespeare, but I don't bring it up in casual conversation, or to strangers, or on boards like this one, where a standard response would include equal parts mockery and vitriol. :) Enough said.

George

Hi ggluek: How do you feel about Sasquatch out in British Columbia - there are some folks who really believe that the big hairy creatures do exist. And welcom to BGO. :)

Hi Polly --

In tend to think that the Earl of Oxford had some involvement in the works of Shakespeare, but I don't bring it up in casual conversation, or to strangers, or on boards like this one, where a standard response would include equal parts mockery and vitriol. :) Enough said.

George

Damn right they do. Earl of Oxford.... tsk tsk tsk... :lol:

Welcome to BAR! On the sci-fi front have you read much Iain M. Banks or Alastair Reynolds?

Thanks for the welcome, all

I don't know how often I'll be able to participate, but I'll try not to be a stranger. And I promise not to talk about Shakespeare -- except the works, which I love. :)

As for Polly's question, Sasquatch and "bigfoot" have become fairly interchangeable generic North American names for these creatures. Most sightings are fleeting, and not publicized or talked about because of the stigma of being thought crazy -- but there have actually been thousands and are consistent enough and widely enough placed in space and time that multi-multiple hoaxes are unlikely. But enough of that. This is a reading site.

cheers --

george

For the record I believe Shakespeare was an Albanian Sasquatch, but that is neither here nor there...
Welcome to the forum. What sort of "literary" fiction do you like? I try my mind at that genre every now and then. Some I like and some makes my brain hurt.

Well, "literary" fiction covers a lot of ground -- basically anything that's above the level of best seller stuff (romances, Grisham, a lot of Chick Lit), but not necessarily a literary classic. I like something a with a more than pedestrian writing style, and aspirations, even if it's not Pulitzer Prize material.
The late U.S. author John Gardener was one, Kundera and Garcia Marquez were others. Umberto Eco. In mysteries, PD James (what I've read of her), Marthan Grimes comes close. In Sci-Fi the late James Tiptree Jr. (aka Alice Sheldon) wrote as well as a genre author can write. I suppose the classics count (Melville, Fitzgerald, Dickens, Dostoevsky, Twain, Hemingway, Conrad . . . ) but I tend to put them in another category. I can enjoy "slumming" if the genre is right and I'm in the right frame of mind (a good entertaining short story of almost any genre is fine with me). But if the writing doesn't meet certain minimum standards, I don't get very far.

Back