• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago

I haven't read it but through my work I've read a lot of reviews of it. It was an extremely influential work and the author is very well-respected so I think that if you're interested in the subject it's basically a core text.

Karina42 said:
Has anybody read The Gulag Archipelago? Is it good? I am just looking for any possible feedback. Thanks.

I read this book quite a few years ago and would recommend it but I did find it a more difficult read than some of his other works; A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Cancer Ward and First circle were definitely more readable. Cancer Ward is probably the best IMO.

Blueboatdriver is correct, it is a bit of a slog to get through, but it is a wonderful book. While your reading time may slow a bit due to his writing, the stories about the KGB kidnapping people in the early morning hours will more than keep your attention. This ranks up there with Elie Wiesel's Night as a riveting book about a warped political system and the people it hurts. This is definitely a must read.:)

Karina42 said:
Has anybody read The Gulag Archipelago? Is it good? I am just looking for any possible feedback. Thanks.

I've read the (authorised) one-volume version. I think you need to have a 'feel' for Russian literature and Soviet Russian history to enjoy it, but there's no doubt it is a powerful book with an important message for the world - even now, in the post-USSR era.

PhilW,
If you've read Gulag Archipelago you've probably read Cancer Ward. I've posted on this book before but with no feedback; just wondered what others think of it. I found it the most touching, leveling book I've read. So many charachters all thrown together with the same deadly problem.

I have this one my to be read list. I have heard very good things about it.

I am currently reading another book on soviet history and the actions of the KGB. There is actually an entire chapter about how the KGB enaged in 'active measures' against the author. Reading the story behind the book makes me that much more interested to read it.

blueboatdriver said:
PhilW,
If you've read Gulag Archipelago you've probably read Cancer Ward. I've posted on this book before but with no feedback; just wondered what others think of it. I found it the most touching, leveling book I've read. So many charachters all thrown together with the same deadly problem.

I have yet to read 'Cancer Ward'. But I will be doing so for certain.

Back