• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alexandre Dumas: The Three Musketeers

i've just finished the 2nd part of the musketeers saga(20 years after), and i must say I am amazed. I tend to get very emotional over dumas's books. And..well, I cried at the end. I was very nerve wracking to read at the beggining how athos and aramis were from a different party then porthos and d'artagnan, and in the end, when they seperated again, I kind of cried. I mean, they're this immortal quartet, and they seperate so often! They remain friends, that's visible, all the way through, but to me it was quite disqueting to read they hand't met for 20 years. and the fact that they were so old saddened me. It made me think more about the 1st book, the actual three musketeers, which now seemed to me much better then before.

what do you think of the books? what are your views/opinions?

p.s. i haven't read the third part yet, so if you talk about it please put a spoiler warning! thanks

HermioneWeasley said:
p.s. i haven't read the third part yet, so if you talk about it please put a spoiler warning! thanks

I haven't read the first part, never mind the second part, so you should have put some spoilers in here.

I read the whole musketeers saga so I can imagine what you're feeling just now...I remember crying at the end of every book he wrote. Unfortunately I think the second book ( 20 years after) had a lot less action than the first one, the golden age of musketeers is gone and now, everyone is poor and d'Artagnan make no exception…the friendship they had in the first book no longer exists…I felt like everyone in that book is chasing a ghost. It’s been at least 5 years since I read the book so correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Mordaunt, the son of Milady and the son of Athos???

PS:to those who haven't read Alexandre Dumas yet :
I have found a site where you can read all of his books (the short version of each book included)
http://www.online-literature.com/dumas

ok, well, he's definately the son of milady, but i don't know about athos, but i was guessing that he is. I'm not sure though. I kinda thought Raoul is the son of athos, but i don't know, there's so much mystery!

but yeah, i agree with you. 20 years after is good, but it's not AS good as the original, and everything you've said about the golden age of musketeers being gone, i agree, and that's what made me sad. But also, I was rather surprised that they were such good friends, and then they haven't seen each other for 20 years. In the end their friendship kind of re-emerged again, but it wasn't the same. i agree, it's like chasing a ghost.

i cried at the end of almost every book he wrote9of the ones i've read)-at the endof the count of monte cristo, 20 years after, the 3 musketeers, and maybe at the end of queen margot. the only one i didn't cry at the end of is the black tulip-that book kind of never really appealed to me, maybe because it was so short. and those are the only books of his i've read. I would read more, but our library doesnt' have very many, so i have to hunt them down, order some from amazon, etc... but i'm planning on starting the vicomte of bragelonne as soon as i can get to the library.

p.s. do you know how i can edit my first post for a spoiler warning? i forgot to put one in.

Yeah, I do remember Raoul de Bragelonne is the illegitimate son of Athos and I think he (Athos) was married with Milady before becoming a musketeer so I think I imagined him having Mordaunt as a son…I think I need to reread this book….

It’s true that their friendship reemerges after all this time and certainly, it’s an incredible friendship they have…not everyone would leave their comfy life and go on a dangerous trip to help the king of England… Of course Cardinal Mazarin is a selfish man who wants all the power to himself and the best thing the musketeers can do is help Louis XIV become more powerful…We can see he (the Sun King) has had a miserable childhood along Cardinal Mazarin's side.

I do encourage you to read the Vicomte of Bragelonne…I’m sure you’ll enjoy it…it’s a really good book

PS: I'm really sorry but I can't help you with editing posts for a spoiler warning...I only found this forum a few days ago when I was looking for some reading suggestions…

ok, well i nead to actually read the last part(10 years after) to figure out who's the son of whom but i'll go to the library soon. Yeah, the friendship is definately incredible.

I feel like i'm repeating everything over and over again from the book!

i have this really good 3 musketeers movie in russian that is soo faithful to the book! it has singing in it but the songs are really good, they rreally go with the movie. and i met the guy who plays athos and the characters look like they're supposed to! I want to get the lyrics of this one song from the movie about milady/athos's wife.

well, i just got the vicomte de bragelonne from the library and i'll start it tommorow.

i have this $100 8-pound(i weighed it) special edition of the three musketeers in russian. i read or skimmed most of it this weekend. and..well..the three musketeers are awesome. made me even sadder bout 20 years about. but it made me forget it a bit and focus on the actual story.

I never saw a good movie with the musketeers...actually I only saw 2 movies: "The man with the iron mask"(with Leo DiCaprio) and "La femme mousketaire" ("The musketeers woman"-I think...I'm not that good with names)...anyway, the point is that none of these movies were anywhere near Alexandre Dumas's books so I kind of stopped watching movies....That's really great for you though...do you have a site or anything with the movie you're talking about?

the man in the iron mask is one of those hollywood adaptations that are terrible and the musketeer woman is some other completely unrelated story. old movies tend to be good. there's a 3 musketeers from,like, 1970 or something try that one. i'm gonna make mysel fan avatar from the movie when i get around to it.

I liked Man in the Iron Mask. I thought it was very entertaining. I haven't read the books, though, because I was always under the impression that they were translated, and translated classical works don't do much good for my brain.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
I liked Man in the Iron Mask. I thought it was very entertaining.

That's what I thought of the movie until I read the book...Now, unfortunately, I can't stand it(the movie I mean)

I have only read the first book that Dumas has written involving the The Three Musketeers. I really enjoyed it. I should purchase my own copy and read it once more.

fantasy moon: please do, it's extremely good. and try reading some of his other books.

that's why i don't like movie adaptations. they spoil the book. I never watch the movie before i read the book, but i sometimes watch it afterwards, and I have yet to find a good adaptation of a book(besides the russian 3 musketeers).

And I too perefer to read books, especially classics, in the original, however, I don't speak french(well, i study it at school, but don't speak nearly well enough to read any class in french), so i have to do with translations.

i've just read this message and knowing you didn't know how to put a spoiler alarm i thought it would be useful... i can't seem to make it work though....:(

asdasd

originally posted
Wabbit Senior ModeratorCurrently Reading: Shadow of the Wind Join Date: Feb 2004Location: London - UKPosts: 7,979

Stalky, you can use spoiler tags use
tags each side of what you want to keep hidden. use a / before spoiler in your second tag

anyway, i got louise de la valliere out of hte library(and i finished the vicomte de bragelonne). and it's even more depressing cuz they're so OLD. I mean, Raoul is the age d'artagnan was in the three musketeers. Which makes you think. But I've been thinking about this. So, Raoul is the son of Athos and Mme de Chevreuse. Madame is the son of Milady and he says he is the son of lord Winter and i'm pretty sure he is, i don't think he's the son of Athos.

I watched the movie adaptaion of queen margot last night. it's another of dumas's books. and it was REALLY bad. i thought it would be kinda bad, but it was REALLY bad. they had all the main events in the book int he correct order, but the way they portrayed those scenes was really terrible. and the movie was way too graphic.

have you decided to watch the three musketeers?

yap :) i've seen an older version from 1993...but i'm not sure we're talking about the same one...I do have to admit that it was a lot better then what i have imagined and the storyline had something to do with the book

I know the last book is preety depressing
especially when everyone dies in the end...i was a bit angry to find out that d'Artagnan dies when he becomes a marchel (or whatever he becomes)...but i guess that makes the storry better
but not a lot of man can do the stuff they did at 50 years or so...so overall i'd say they're good books, worth reading and i don't think anyone will regret reading them

PS: i might have imagined the whole son thing

Whatever you do, DO NOT watch a French made-for-TV movie called "Milady". It's just awful awful awful. The acting is so bad it's actually painful. I really enjoyed the Disney adaptation of The 3 Musketeers with Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt and Chris O'Donnell. It took many liberties with the original story but as a movie it's highly entertaining. I am a huge fan of the 3 Musketeers, I must have read it at least 14 times in Spanish, I still have my old 3 tome copy at my mom's and it was the first book I bought in French after moving to Paris :eek: . Have you read The Dumas Club, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte? He's a great fan of Alexandre Dumas and The 3 Musketeers. You may also want to check out Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste novels...

NotTheDoctor said:
Have you read The Dumas Club, by Arturo Pérez-Reverte? He's a great fan of Alexandre Dumas and The 3 Musketeers. You may also want to check out Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste novels...
nope i've never read his books ... i'll look for them the next time i go to the library though:) ....thank's for the suggestions :D

i didn't read your spoiler cuz I never read spoilers, and I haven’t even started louise de la valliere. But that’s ok. Wow, when the acting is so bad it’s painful I wonder how the movie even sold.

Did Disney make a three musketeers movie? I thought it was a cartoon.

I have’t yet read the club dumas but I’m planning on it. It sounds interesting.

Back