• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alice Sebold: The Lovely Bones *spoilers*

Alicia

I didn't think I'd like this book, but I'm having a hard time putting it down. It begins with a girl (12yo, I think) in heaven. She's been murdered, but is not upset by it. She's more interested in watching her family and murderer afterwards, and in understanding her heaven, in which she's landed. I understand that each person would need to perceive heaven a bit differently, for it to be what we each need. But it does seem kinda strange that God is never mentioned in heaven, lol.

Alicia, I've been thinking of reading The Lovely Bones for awhile. Tell us more when you're done.

I've been put off buying it because of cost (and fact that everyone says it can be read in a few sittings) and from getting it at the library because it has about 100+ holds on it already. I guess I'll put my name on the list and patiently wait for it to come through.

I got it from the library too. I finished it on my commute home today. It'll make you think. Perhaps shed a tear.

I've been meaning to get The Lovely Bones too. Might get it when I go shop for books after my exams. :)

It's definitely worth the read. I read it over a weekend. It's told from the prospective of the dead girl, and while the details of her death are hard to take, the books doesn't dwell on them. Deep issues are offered up in a deceptively simple writing style. I highly recommend it.

I finally got hold of a copy and read it in two evenings. Definitely worth the read and highly recommended.

I's not at all what I expected, given the premise of the book. The girl's version of heaven is quite believable which is a tribute to Sebold's writing - because it easily could have become shmaltzy and unbelievable.

Just a side thought: All the raves and recommendations I've heard first-hand have come from females. I wonder if there are any guys out there who have read this and liked it? Or is the subject off-putting to them? Does it seem like chick lit? I think males would like this book, if they'd give it a chance. Or am I totally off-base?

Originally posted by Ell

Just a side thought: All the raves and recommendations I've heard first-hand have come from females. I wonder if there are any guys out there who have read this and liked it? Or is the subject off-putting to them? Does it seem like chick lit? I think males would like this book, if they'd give it a chance. Or am I totally off-base?

My mom recommended that I read The Lovely Bones and I have to admit that I was skeptical about it at first. I trust my mom though, and like a good son, I did as I was told. I'm glad that I listened as I absolutely loved the book. Is it chick lit? I'm not sure, but if it is, then I guess I like chick lit. :) Now I'm reading all sorts of good reviews of The Secret Life of Bees and they all seem to be written by women as well! Have any of you read this book? Any scouting reports would be much appreciated.

Mike

I heard about Lovely Bones last year ( or very early this year?) on a CBC book discussion and have wanted to read it since. Now that you all have backed up the opinions I heard it is def. on the top of my reading list for when I get home.

Mike, glad to hear you liked Lovely Bones. I also heard that The Secret Life of Bees is very good. If you read it, let us know what you think.

Jillean, it's a fairly quick read, but definitely worth it.

ps. Curious. How long have you been in China and what have you been doing there? My husband's family is originally from Guangzhou.

I'm going to pick up The Lovely Bones this tuesday when I go to the bookstore. Everything I've heard about it is good, so I decided I'm going to go ahead and give it a read.

I read the Lovely Bones and was very disappointed by it. All this hype that surrounds it makes it seem like it's an instant classic, but it wasn't. Alice Sebold's writing just doesn't appeal to me. It was like she went out of her way to mention sex and then dropped it as soon as possible. On the dust cover we're told more about heaven than we are in the actual book. It's not something that I would want to go back and read again.

It was like she went out of her way to mention sex and then dropped it as soon as possible.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

On the dust cover we're told more about heaven than we are in the actual book.
That's the trouble with dust jackets - they often seem to be written by people who haven't read the book. :rolleyes: The story isn't about heaven per se, but about what the girl observes from her perspective of being in heaven.

As for not being an instant classic, I tend to agree. However, it was a good book, worthy of reading and certainly exceeded my expectations.

The Lovely Bones

I just finished reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. Somebody wanted to know what I thought of it, don't remember who lol, so here it is...

I really like it. A lot. I even missed my stop on the train to work while reading this book! I think it is very well written. She can use a few words to evoke time, place, and feeling. The best writers always do that. You don't need paragraphs or pages of text. The prose is really wonderful and often beautiful.

The story is very moving and I had glistening eyes quite a few times. :) lol Hey, i'm a 90's new man. I'm allowed to cry. shit, it's 2000 now. Errr...

The very first chapter is like watching a car crash in slow motion. You know what is going to happen, but you can't stop it. I was sitting there reading it and thinking... RUN! I really liked the book. As much about life, as death.

Anybody else read it? What did you think?

Regards
Silly Wabbit

The Lovely Bones-my favorite book of all time, or at least near the very top. This novel was so uniquely written, so beautiful with such a sad yet hopeful message it has stayed with me even tho I read it probably a year ago. It received a lot of criticism when it came out here in the US. Everyone I know who has read it has either loved or hated it. This book was a life changer. Please read it if you haven't. Do not delay!

I read it about 3 months ago and did like it but I wasn't crazy about it. It's very unique but maybe I heard to much hype about it before hand. I would recommend it though. All in all I guess I'm riding the fence on this one. I didn't love it or hate it. (but glad I read it).

Bill

I thought the book was wonderful. She is an excellent writer. And I love the perspective she wrote from. It was totally different and refreshing, a truly original work. She also has a book called Lucky, it is her memoir, and it also is quite intense and moving, and what a treasure when someone with that talent can write down there story and share it with others. You should give it a go.

Back