• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

allow myself to introduce... myself

bookclubnazi

hi. i've been looking for a literature discussion forum for a month. until now at the ones i'd looked at had one post every month or so. so i'm glad to have found you all!

i joined a book club in january and find it very intellectually satisfying, which i was desperately in need of. (i work with construction guys, contractors, welders, etc. all day. ... so the discussion does not generally stray into fiction. ;) ) however some of my favourite books are not really book club material, or not yet up for discussion. and that's why i'm here. ;)

my handle? the woman who started the club says i'm too critical with our books. when i suggested a book for the reading list for the next few months, she said, "oh, it'll be nice to read a book you actually like." (that made me laugh.) and in an e-mail she called me the book club nazi. so... *shrug* i guess that my book club identity now, for better or worse. :)

Welcome to our cosy little corner of the Internet, Nazi (never thought I'd say that!). I hope you brought some cookies.

Grab a chair - lets talk books.

Cheers

Hi bcn! What kinds of books do you like? I'm relatively new here too and love to engage in discussion beyond "I really liked it" comments.

Novella

thanks guys!

i like your name, novella. i can never think of anything witty when i'm signing up. :rolleyes:

i tend to read strictly snooty 'literature' (i'm a snob as well as a nazi ;). i avoid oprah's picks, based on overexposure and the high irritation factor. :rolleyes: i tend to avoid mass-consumption novels, but two books i've enjoyed the most the last cpouple years have been just that: "bitten" by kelley armstrong and an inspector banks mystery by peter robinson (the title eludes me).

actually, i tend to bring banana bread to book discussions. hope that works for you. ;)

bookclubnazi said:
i avoid oprah's picks, based on overexposure and the high irritation factor.

Did you read The Corrections, in spite of Oprah? I did after some time had passed, after anti-Oprah furor, and I took a close look at the book in the bookstore and found it very appealing. Wound up liking it--though it's certainly no masterpiece, Franzen does a fine job with the minutae of everyday life for all his characters and their relationships are not just believable but affecting. Then he throws into it this zany coincidence-based bunch of subplots that echo the truth-is-stranger-than-fiction feeling of the book overall. Worth a read, IMO.

Novella

Welcome! :D
I've just read "Bitten" and think it is pretty fascinating. I loved the wolf-like structure of the pack and all the behavioral abnormalities which come with beeing a werwolf. The heroine has to struggle all the time and doesn't appear to be perfect. Great Story!

Welcome!! It is nice to have a place to talk about books. I know the feeling of being starved for interesting conversation. I think you'll like it here.

i think the only oprah pick i read was "she's come undone." it may not have been an oprah pick, come to think of it, but it had that 'feel', kinda. (maybe the author's other book was an oprah pick?) i did enjoy that book though, very 'life is what you make it, be happy with the small things," if you know what i mean.

i loved 'bitten'. i've realized i really enjoy books/movies with a transformation by the main character (which i know describes a helluva lotta books, but some are more obvious, and some are better than others ;) ). i really liked everything about it -- including the sex scenes. whoa nelly! :eek: those were scrumptious. :D

also i liked the strong female character: she was allowed to be strong, and smart, and sexual, and even when she was unsure or made mistakes it didn't make her weak or stupid. well done!

unfortunately, the sequel was a huge disappointment. and i see more letdowns in her 'women of the underworld' series. :(

honeydevil and hay, are you guys OK?:eek:
bookclubnazi, joined the forum long time ago, even before you two joined.
So, the welcoming, shouldn't it actually be the other way around, and isn't this a little "late" welcoming someone, who joined in August?

Just wondering, don't get mad. :p

Maya said:
So, the welcoming, shouldn't it actually be the other way around, and isn't this a little "late" welcoming someone, who joined in August?

Hmm.. didn't see that, I just noticed it was there and thought I should say hello. Explains a lot of the comments though. :eek: :rolleyes:
I blaime Honeydevil. :D

Maya said:

ups... i guess i'm just living behind the moon!! i'm not really fast in the last time... but i think it is just friendly, even if it is late!! :D

sorry! this old thread resurrection is probably my fault. i joined in august and hadn't been on much. i just started posting/lurking/reading old threads again in the last couple weeks. i also just uploaded an avatar at the same time, so that probably contributed. my bad. :eek:

bookclubnazi said:
sorry! this old thread resurrection is probably my fault. i joined in august and hadn't been on much. i just started posting/lurking/reading old threads again in the last couple weeks. i also just uploaded an avatar at the same time, so that probably contributed. my bad. :eek:

come on!! that's not your fault that i'm not looking at the date when you joined!! come off it and enjoy!! :D

Back