• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Alternative heat - Pellet Stove Forum

Motokid

http://pelletstoves.forumup.com/ <-- Clicky

Pass it along to anyone who may be interested.

It's a very topic-related forum.

It very well may die a quick death but who knows?

Join if you'd like. I'd love to have some alternative heating discussions and topics started.

Thanks.

A pellet-stove forum...wow...now I've seen everything!:)

I bet they have flame wars with the corn burning stove forum people.:D :D

There are also sections for solar and wind discussion.

Pellet stoves are quite popular.

With the cost of heating oil and natural gas going up people are seeking alternative ways to keep warm.

I was seeking some information and came across some older, not very organized forums that had little traffic.

Just figured an hour or two of forum development was worth it if a few people joined and the things started to grow a bit.

It's there for now....perhaps it'll disappear if there's no interest.

A 40# bag of wood stove pellets costs around $5 and lasts the night. That comes to about $150/month.

Sure it's cheaper than natural gas but it's more expensive than electricity.

Here is a great use for wood pellets: green kitty litter. It costs 75-80% less than Feline pine and is just as good. It's what I use for my cats.

I realize the catch-22 in that pellet stoves need electricity to run....but I highly doubt heating an entire house on electricity is cheaper than using a $5.00 per day bag of pellets.

And if you buy by the ton the price per bag is often cheaper.

The forum is also about alternative methods...so it's not just pellet stoves.

I have a question on there about solar water heaters.
I'd love to know more from people who have them.

I'd love to know more from people with a wind generator in residential areas.

There's a section for that too.

Other ideas are welcome as well.

I live in a 4 bedroom farmhouse that was built in 1884. Everything is electric. It's horribly insulated and in December when the heat was on 24/7, my electric bill was a few cents less than $300. By comparison, in October when A/C and heat were not running, my bill was $170ish.

Here's what I do know.

When I first got the stove I did some side-by-side comparisons with my heating bills.

Factoring in the cost per day of the bags of pellets, my heating costs did not change.

HOWEVER....with the stove running, my house was much warmer in the general living areas.

So for the same cost to heat, I was more comfortable...and more importantly....my wife was more comfortable.

hard to get a forum off the ground.. I worked for 2 years on one and nothing really happend with it. Wish it luck

Back