• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amazon broken

novella

Urrrgh! Amazon appears to be broken today all day so far. Driving me nuts, as I am trying to order three books for Christmas. Not a cookies problem, as far as I can tell. Anyone else having trouble?

I've just tested it by ordering Kafka's The Trial (pun intended) and it worked fine. Thanks for giving me the excuse to order it, though. :)

Freya said:
:confused: Both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk seem to be working fine for me.

Could you go to amazon.com, put something in your shopping cart and try to check out? It breaks after the password point.

Thank you thank you.

I just called them and took care of it over the phone. Very strange, as I used the site constantly with no prob. They couldn't tell me what was wrong but fixed the order over the phone. I will die if this keeps happening. I am an Amazon addict.

Thanks both of you for assistance.

Oooh no. I like book shops. Friday afternoon treat after a week of attending all 8 hours of lectures, is to nip round town and get me a new book :eek:

It will take Amazon about 2-3 months to ship things to where I am. I want to move to US just so I can take advantage of the ship within 1 day thingee in Amazon.

I like to goto Amazon and browse. It's torture, but it's nice... :(

ds

When I was in Malaysia, I went into a few bookshops looking for something new. I wasn't too happy seeing that a significant proportion of the books were imported from the UK, some (eg Irving's work) with a smaller booksize.

Granted there were a few from the US (eg that newsagent-like place at the Central Station had an American verson of Clavell's Shogun at a stupidly cheap price but bound in a book that was on the flimsy side), but the majority seemed to be UK editions.

The top of the KLCC (commercial area) has a pretty good comic section in its bookshop though.

Back on topic - I can see why amazon shutting down could give people kittens. I go shopping there when I'm after a bargain. That said, I can spend absolutely ages in a bookshop skimming through books and sampling work (think women and clothes shops), and often come out with a book or 2 (especially with the 3 for 2 things).

lol I'm that way with book shops too :D

I get lost in them for hours upon hours. I do love it though! Browsing books shops, hunting for treasure, is such a pleasure and an activity in itself. I don't really even have to buy anything. Oh and there are always the coffee shops :)

fluffy bunny - how come you were in Malaysia? Hope you had a great time here!

About the influx of UK books: When I read your post, I went and did a quick, random flip through my books and saw that there is a good spread between books imported from UK and the States. These are my fiction books; most of my technical books (IT stuff) are from the States though.

I was just at the KLCC bookstore today! :) It's called Kinokuniya, and it's one of my favourite bookstores in the whole of Malaysia. A good selection of stuff. Wished the fantasy/scifi/horror shelves could be bigger still, though. You are right about the comics section - this is the only place I get my trades nowadays.

Wabbit - I don't order online, though friends have, for obscure technical books (textbook/certification stuff) that will never reach our shores otherwise. I get my stuff from bookstores - both conventional and second hand shops. I love this secondhand store chain we have here - the books are in relatively good (most in excellent) condition. However, the price is so much cheaper than what I'd have to pay for a new book, plus they've got old stuff I'll never find anywhere else.

Just the other day I picked up Dan Brown's Digital Fortress and Laurie R King's Night Work for just RM6 (that's about USD$1.60) each.

ds

Back