• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

amazon used books

Can Amazon Prime be used on ALL book purchases or only the books which say "free super saver shipping"?

Almost everything sold by Amazon (not 3rd parties selling on Amazon) gets the free shipping. There are a few exceptions but those usually end up qualifying for free super saver shipping.

I signed up for this 2 years ago and if you order lots of things from Amazon, it's a good value.

Amazon's super saver shipping is the thing I like least about Amazon. I think they intentionally delay shipping about seven to ten days to make buyers think twice about using a service that costs them money. In fact, I purchased a book from Amazon about a week ago using Super Saver shipping and the estimated shipping date is next week. Good thing I buy in advance.

Amazon must not like you Robert. When I use the free super saver shipping, I typically have the book in my hands in less than a week.

Amazon must not like you Robert. When I use the free super saver shipping, I typically have the book in my hands in less than a week.

You could be right, sparkchaser. Or perhaps your fast deliveries have something to do with Amazon Prime?

I've never had an issue with the super saver shipping either. I don't think I've ever waited over a week.

As for buying used books on Amazon, I do it all the time. I've had two experiences where I didn't receive my book but was refunded promptly in both cases, so I've had good luck.

So I guess that takes us back to your original hypothesis that they don't like me. Damn!

I guess I'll have to live with it.

Don't feel so bad. Once when I ordered few books, they delayed it over and over, then they cancelled one book themselves. Then they charged for shipping on other items because my total did not go over 25 dollars because of this one cancelled item - I had done the Free Super Saver Shipping at the time.

I had to write them a nice letter complaining about the incident, and they credited me for the shipping charge. So, I guess they didn't like me at first, but they liked me later. Still, I did not get the book. So, they don't like me. ;)

But, this is only one time event out of many many good dealings from Amazon.

With used books, generally I've had good experiences (I guess it's no worse than ebay).
However if you're looking for specific editions of a book (eg a hardcover of a book you love) be sure to ask the seller a lot of questions before ordering as I've had 2 people send me crappy BCA hardbacks instead of what I was after. Sure they offered a refund but costwise wasn't worth it.

I have better luck getting a used book from one of the sellers on Amazon then I do from Amazon. I ordered a Speak, Memory from Amazon and after 32 days, never got so much as a shipping date. I finally cancelled the order and went to Borders.

Back