• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

American Politics

milney100

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I am in the wrong place.

I would like to understand more about Amercian politics and the way it works. Does anyone know any books which could help me?

I know very little at the moment. I have found an idiots guide available but it seems to be £30 and that is a little excessive. Most of the books seem to be text books which I do not want.

Any help or suggestions of any kind would be welcome.

Thanks.

Alexis deToqueville's Democracy in America would be an excellent place to start. His observations are still true for the most part. He was dead on about a collective emphasis on "practical" knowledge and the arts as opposed to the more "theoretical" knowledge. He also rightly predicted the rise of big business and the gilded age. I also have to say that he was very accurate about political party leanings and the attitude of American citizens regarding religion. Check this book out if you really want to see the underpinnings of America. You can find an online text version for free, just google it and you'll be in business.

I'd just like to use this opportunity to say I wouldn't trust anybody who drops the name of O'Reilly, Coulter, Franken, Malkin, Moore, Hannity, Colmes, Stossel, Limbaugh, or Horowitz as a recommendation.

Alexis deToqueville's Democracy in America would be an excellent place to start...

I wouldn't trust anybody who drops the name of O'Reilly, Coulter, Franken, Malkin, Moore, Hannity, Colmes, Stossel, Limbaugh, or Horowitz as a recommendation.

I agree with both of these guys. Democracy in America is standard reading for American Poly Sci Majors, and many History Majors as well. I think that as a starter, you really need something that is a step back from today's partisian politics. You won't get a true overview from something really political and one sided (which is what those "authors" unKeMPt mentioned will give you).

Perhaps after you understand a bit more, you may want to delve into the mess of partisian politics. If so, be sure to choose a bit from every side.

I don't think there's just a 'book' about the entire subject. Try to find some things about pluralism by Ron Dahl, maybe read the Federalist Papers, though sadly that's more idealistic than realistic these days. for a broad view, you'll have to get a textbook of some sort, really. I'm sure there's a good one. Check some syllabi. See what intro poli. sci. courses at places like Harvard, Cornell, Oxford, etc are using.

And not to be too obvious or link to shady sites but...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=american+politics&btnG=Google+Search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_the_United_States

Back