• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

An Action Junkie

jbcohen

I am a bit of an action junkie. I love books where the characters spend there time running about with all kinds of peril standing over their shoulder. In other words as one author put it I love books where the characters dance with death on every page. I know about Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp books, but what other authors can forum members point out? I am enthralled with the Executioner novels.

I'll get in with this one before Phil but Matthew Reilly is a good action writer - some of the plots are a bit of a stretch of the imagination but the characters are certainly subject to peril on every page! He has written four books, I think, but I would recommend Ice Station or Temple as a good place to start.

I'm assuming you've read Tom Clancy's novels, but if not, they're definitely full of action. One of my favorites doesn't have Jack Ryan as his main character, its Without Remorse and is definitely gritty and action-packed.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far. I have read every Clancey that has ever been published under any of his series. I have also read all of the Ludlum novels. However, I will look up the Mathew Reilly books shortly. Does Reilly write a series that he is better know for or are they all sperate books with different characters?

There are three Reilly books that have the same central character - Ice Station, Area 7 and Scarecrow (Ice Station being the first). The other two books, Temple and Contest, are completely stand-alone.

I don't really think Ludlum compares to the likes of Matt Reilly and Vince Flynn when we're talking about "lots of action" (at least the Ludlums I read so far didn't relate this idea to me ;))

I'd recommend Brad Thor (Lions of Lucerne and Path of the Assassin) both certainly not high concept literature but big on action - just what you asked for ;)

Thanks, I did not know anything about Gnooks, but now it’s on my list of links. Will explore in a moment. Anymore ideas?

Ha!! Lyra got here first!!

Matthew Reilly kicks ass!! - By the way, if you want to sample his reading before you buy a book, he is publishing his latest novel in installments on the web before it comes out in print!! Its perhaps not as good as his early stuff (especially Ice Station & Temple) but its not too shabby! :)

Goto http://www.hovercarracer.com/main.html and check it out!!

Phil

{Tigress} said:
I'd suggest Robert Ludlum and in particular his Bourne trilogy. And no, not just because of the movie... I'd read the books years ago and enjoyed them immensely.

Soon to be a quadrilogy! There's another Bourne book coming out this month.

EDIT: My bad. It's not a Ludlum Bourne book. It's an 'in the style of Ludlum' book. I guess that makes sense.

Anyone ever hear of hte executioner novels? They were originally written by Don Pendleton, but are now written by a group of writters under Pendelton's pen name.

Hi. I'm one of the new kids on the block.

Another good action author is James Rollins. I recently found him and rate his books very close to those of Matthew Reilly for "go get 'em" action.

A possibility is Jack Du Brul. I have found a few of his books at used book stores, but have not started reading any yet.

I read many of Don Pendleton's Executioner books waaaaaay back when, but the formula wore thin after a while. Another similar series was The Destroyer by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir (until he died). It too was fun for a while, but after 70-80-90-? books, it just became too hard to hold my interest.

Good luck with your searching.

Paul

well, i haven't read much action stuff set in modern times, but Wilbur Smith is a great action read. most of his books are set in south africa or on the high seas surrounding, but they're loaded with action. people being hunted, tribal war, brits vs boers. he has done a few modern ones that are loaded with action, but i am more into the historically set ones. anyway, when i pick one up i can't put it down.

check out his books here:

Wilbur Smith books

Back