• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

An Action Junkie

James Rollins is good, but i think he's only been published in the US, not in the UK as far as i'm aware - you can probably pick up the books online though :)

Phil

letterHead said:
How about the Dirk Pitt stories by Clive Cussler. I find them a bit 'Boys Own Adventure'ish, but not too bad.

I've heard Cussler is good for a few books and then becomes a bit forumlaic. What is your opinion of this? My father is the one who said this, and he's the person whose reading list most closely resembles mine...typically if he likes a book, so do I, and if he doesn't like a book, I won't like it either.

They probably could be seen as formulaic if you read enough of them. There's a lot of the 'don't you know who he is?' stuff, Pitt escapes from almost certain death in a number of hard to believe ways and seems to always get the girl.

I recommend the earlier stories, before Cussler started putting himself in as a character.

I'll second Paul Bond's recommendation for Jack Du Brul.

Du Brul runs hot and cold, but a very good one is "The Medusa Stone."
I think it'll be just what you're looking for.

Cusslers books are formulaic now, but ok for a fast read if you pick up a cheap second hand copy or go to the library.
There are some boks out wrritten by Kemperos??? or something like that, which are co-written with Cussler. These books are actually better than Cusslers stand alone ones.

Vince Flynn is great.

Reilly is just too way out there.

If you like military, try Chris Ryan, even Andy McNab. Dan Brown, Harold Cole

I'll try and think of some more

Back