• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

An idle thought

RhondaGivings

Do you think that when authors write really horrifying and sometimes nauseating things in their novels that they are writing about what would scare them the most or are some of the plots the workings of devious minds? When someone graphically describes what is happening to a victim being tortured is it possible that the author could be getting some visceral reward? Think of Edgar Allan Poe - he was a strange one. momac:innocent:

Probably a little or a lot of both depending on the author. It does seem that some authors try and go out of their way to provide a high shock value within a story.

The only thing is that nowadays you can write anything and it wouldn't shock people. Go on to the boards at 4chan and you'll know what i mean

Hello LaGs: I see you're from the Emerald Isle - loved it when we visited there in 2002. Don't know what 4chan is - maybe we're reading so much shocking stuff that we become a bit deadened to it although I've picked up some books with portions in them that really horrified me but then I don't like horror stories. Some books by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston I found were a bit over the top although I had read a couple of them which weren't bad before I got into the offputting ones. momac

Where in Ireland did you visit? :)

btw 4chan are just these scarcely unregulated message boards where people can post anything they want anonymously...A lot of it is hilarious, but some of the stuff i've seen posted there is more horrifying than anything i've ever read in a book!

Hello again LaGs: We took the ferry from Holyhead to Dun Loaghaire and then rented a car and drove up to Donegal - my husband's family moved from there in the late 1800's and we were looking to see if we could find where they started out from. Didn't have much success but we found a graveyard in the vicinity of where someone told us there had been McKee's and found a couple of gravestones of possible relatives. Don't know what the name of the church was as the Protestant churches don't seem to have names on them. We travelled down the west coast and marvelled at the palm trees in one of the resorts we stayed at. Had lunch at the golf club at Galway and wanted to buy a souvenir - all very expensive - we ended up with a golf ball with the club name on it! Thanks for the info about the message board. I don't really do much surfing of the net - not very techie. Happy Easter to you - hope to meet up with you again in the forum. momac :)

Don't know if my previous post went where it should. Maybe it's out in cyberspace somewhere. If you get it twice - my apologies. momac

Back