• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anatomy for Beginners

Stewart

This post is inspired by the current documentary showing on UK terrestrial channel Channel 4 called Anatomy for Beginners in which Dr Gunther von Hagens and pathologist Prof. John Lee lecture an audience on human anatomy with the aid of plasticised body parts and the dissection of real human bodies that have donated their corpses to science in order to explain movement, circulation, digestion, and reproduction.

The question from the programme's site reads like this:

Would you mind if your doctor has had no real, practical experience of human anatomy?

At the same time that Dr Gunther von Hagens has been championing what he calls ‘the democratisation of anatomy’, strange things have been happening to medical curricula, at least in the UK. It’s now only in a minority of UK medical schools that students still actually perform detailed dissections on a human body. Under pressure to make courses cheaper and easier to deliver, many UK medical schools have now changed their anatomy courses so that their medical students do little dissection themselves. Instead the students acquire their anatomical knowledge by viewing ready-dissected specimens prepared by others, plastic models and computer simulations. The new Peninsula Medical School, based at Plymouth and Exeter, prides itself on the fact that no real human material is used in its anatomy course at all – all the anatomical teaching is carried out using plastic models.

What do you think? Is real dissection important? Is the use of plastic models and computer simulations an appropriate way to teach medical students anatomy? Or have students who missed out on the detail and difficulty of actual dissection had their medical education downgraded?

Warning! Graphic!

Dissection is essential. My girlfriend is in med school currently, and they learn a lot from those labs.

Don't read the next paragraph if you can't handle gore. For the rest, it's pretty funny.

Aside from the important things they learn, they also learn things that they wish they didn't know. My girlfriend's roommate found out that she was unusually good at skinning corpses and, therefore, people. Who wants to know that they're good at that?

that remind me of a joke (its kinda gross)

An autopsy professor was giving an introductory lecture to a class of students. Standing over a corpse, he addressed the class. "There are two things you need to make a career in medical forensics. First, you must have no fear." Having said that, he shoved his finger up the corpse's anus and licked it. "Now you must do the same," he told the class. After a couple of minutes of uneasy silence, the class did as instructed. "Second," the professor continued, "you must have an acute sense of observation. For instance, how many of you noticed that I put my middle finger up this man's anus, but licked my index finger?"

I would think that dissection is essential. You can watch videos that teach painting, read books about painting, and go to the art museum, but that doesn't mean that you'll be able to paint the first time you pick up a brush. You need practice!

Back