• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

And another... :(

Libra6Poe

5 years ago a friend read a short story to me over the phone. It was about (I think) this happy couple that gets this gift. And the gift is like a photograph of the couple. As the years go by, the photograph changes with the couple. But it becomes the opposite of what's going on in the couple's life. Like, the husband in the photograph is a drunk when he's not in real life (or vise versa)... I'm not sure. I think it ends with the woman destroying the photograph.

Please help! :(

This will be of no use to you at all since I just wanted to let you know that your caption is DRIVING ME NUTS!!! :p

I remember a story like that as well, and I'm pretty sure that it's the same one. Only, the way I remember it is that the woman's husband (whom she loves very much) dies sometime after receiving the photo and she continually refers to it to see how her counterparts are faring (and they aren't faring too well). And this sort of leads to the conclusion that she is better off having lived a short, joyous life with her husband, than her counterparts who still have each other but are miserable together.

I've been racking my brains for the past few hours trying to recall its author / title / etc, and I've come up with zip. And now, this is bugging me HEAPS too!

So I echo in the hopes of amplifying:

Please help! :( :(

OMG!! I definitely think that's the same one!!! YES YES YES...

but damn... too bad neither of us knows... :(

Thank you sooo much though!! ;)

I would just call up the old friend that read it to me... but he & I aren't on speaking terms... haven't been for the past 3 years. Maybe I can get a mutual friend to ask, then you and I can feel better. ha ha :D

It sounds vaguely familiar to me as well, but sorry, I don't know the title. :( It's not a Stephen King short story, is it?

Libra6Poe said:
I would just call up the old friend that read it to me... but he & I aren't on speaking terms... haven't been for the past 3 years. Maybe I can get a mutual friend to ask, then you and I can feel better. ha ha :D
Tell, you what, you give me his number and I'll call up and ask for the both of us, LOL! :D
Halo said:
It's not a Stephen King short story, is it?
No, I'm pretty sure its not. For some reason, I remember it being written by a female author. I was actually thinking Atwood, but this doesn't sound like something she'd write.

I think there's a John Cheever story with a plot along those lines. Do you have the collected Cheever short stories? If that's it, it would definitely be in there.

Thank you soo much Novella. I do not have any Cheever novels though. I was looking him up on Google and couldn't find anything about this particular story (I'll look a little deeper soon though). Do you perhaps have a more specific idea on what Cheever story this could possibly be? :D Thanks!

"Smoke & Mirrors" - Neil Gaiman

I finally spoke to the person I wasn't on speaking terms with :rolleyes: and found out that it was a Neil Gaiman story! :eek: "The Wedding Present" in his "Smoke & Mirrors."

Back