• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Angels & Demons reference?

Steph

I don't know if any of you who have read this book would remember this, but in the middle of the novel Robert Langdon was talking about how Christ's birth was originally in March instead of December. He was refering to something about sun worshipping and such. I'm a Catholic, so I was pretty surprised to find this. Does anyone know why this is?

Later, I will probably find the time to see what Jaroslave Pelikan regarding the date of Christmas/Nativity in his 5 volume "History and Development of Christian Doctrine."

I seem to remember something about some Roman celebration, and Dec. 25 was established to offer some competition to that, or perhaps simply to fit comfortably with the culture of that time.

Most Christian dates were based upon pagan festivals; it was far more convenient for the Romans spreading the faith to spread it by conveniently giving the pagans (i.e. country dwellers) something more grand to worship than poxy trees. Let's also not forget that December was the tenth month for a bit, January and March had a bit of a swap too, and then we had calendar changes from Julian to Gregorian centuries later.

Sitaram said:
I seem to remember something about some Roman celebration, and Dec. 25 was established to offer some competition to that, or perhaps simply to fit comfortably with the culture of that time.

The Saturnalia was on December 25th, and began to be used by Roman Catholic clergy in the 4th century to re-gather lapsed Christians to Christianity. Originally called mass of Christ, or Christ-Mass it copied and simply took over or replaced the pagan celebrations, which lasted about a week.

Give the people what they want.

It's been a while since I read the christian bible but I don't think it gives any clues as to when Jesus was born. And perhaps that was an omission to show that his birth was not important in the grand scheme of things. That what he did during his brief life on earth was of greater importance and also that of his sacrificial death. Most of the modern-day christian holidays/celebrations have pagan origins.

Breaca said:
It's been a while since I read the christian bible but I don't think it gives any clues as to when Jesus was born. And perhaps that was an omission to show that his birth was not important in the grand scheme of things. That what he did during his brief life on earth was of greater importance and also that of his sacrificial death. Most of the modern-day christian holidays/celebrations have pagan origins.
Quite right. The Bible does however intimate that its certainly not in the dead of winter. :rolleyes:

Most Christian dates were based upon pagan festivals; it was far more convenient for the Romans spreading the faith to spread it by conveniently giving the pagans (i.e. country dwellers) something more grand to worship than poxy trees.

Very true!

oops.. i remembered in time that religon wasn't supposed to be discussed here.. why can't we delete our own posts?

zen said:
oops.. i remembered in time that religon wasn't supposed to be discussed here..

You can discuss it in the context of books. Don't let it slide into my religion is better than yours. As long as it's on topic, it's fine.

why can't we delete our own posts?

Because of idiots.

How interesting, the etymology of Mass. From childhood on I found it a curious term, but never made inquiry into it's origins. The Greeks says Liturgy, which comes from "ourgos" (work,doing,act) [on behalf of the] "laos" (laity, people, mass of persons gathered). Both words have the notion of a gathering or congregation, which of course resembles synagoge (from the Greek sunagein, to bring together) and also ekklesia/eccliastic
from ecclesia: In ancient Greek states a political assembly of the citizens, esp. at Athens, from ek, which denotes origin and could be independently translated from, and kaleo (καλέω), meaning to call or bid.

The origin of the word "church" is less certain. Although the exact etymology of the word “church” is far from certain, some Bible dictionaries and commentaries suggest that it came to be used for the ekklesia because it is thought that early believers may have met in a circle (see following). However, that concept is highly suspect because if one correctly understands that the believers met in synagogues until far after the end of the first century, there is nothing specific in synagogue worship that lends itself to the concept of a circle, unless it refers to Davidic dance, which is generally performed in a circle.

According to some other dictionaries, the modern English word “church” is supposedly derived from the Middle English word chirche or kirke, which in turn is derived from the Greek word kyriakos, which is said to mean “belonging to the Lord.” However, the strongest evidence against that position is simply that the word kirke is far more ancient than Christianity, and was originally derived from the name of the pagan sun-goddess Circe, whose priests and priestesses gathered in a “circle” to worship her (hence the source of the word “circle”).

Still other dictionaries and commentaries suggest that the word “church” it is derived from the Teutonic kirk or kirche, which is a circle of trees that was used for human sacrifices (again related to Circe-worship). Since the “church” as we know it today owes most of its form to its Roman Catholic ancestor, perhaps the best explanation is that the word “church” apparently actually refers to the “inner circle” of the Babylonian Mystery Religion (closely related to the Teutonic kirk in both form and function).

Back