• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ann Lawrence: Do You Believe?:Review

Harriet

kickbox
Do You Believe?
Ann Lawrence
Tor, May 2005, $6.99
ISBN: 0765348888

Pennsylvanian Rose Early is in Marleton Village, the last known address of her missing sister Joan, a photographer who recently vanished while on assignment for the Cotswolds Diocese of the Church of England. Rose’s only clue to find her sister is Joan’s copy of Do You Believe in Evil, a horror novel written by local author Vic Drummond. She visits Drummond’s home, but he pretends to be the gardener and blows her away.

Vic is impressed with Rose’s persistence and decides to help her find her sister. As the Yank and the Brit investigate, both reconsider whether evil exists because something is not right in the remote sleepy village especially with the local All Saints Church; all who enter suffer nightmares and physical emanations. Whatever is inside is beginning to get outside. As Rose and Vic become believers, they also reassess the existence of love at first sight for that is the only weapon they have found so far to counter the malevolence that is spreading beyond the village.

Readers will believe in Ann Lawrence’s talent as the author effortlessly combines a heated contemporary romance with a supernatural thriller that grips the audience once Vic agrees to help the obstinate American. The relationship between the lead couple is cleverly set up so that the attraction starts early (no pun intended) but his secret about her sister that he hides from her becomes critical later; to survive evil she must trust in their love even though she learns he hid things from her. The essence to trust or not to trust makes this a strong supernatural romantic suspense thriller that never slows down until the final confrontational rites occur.

Harriet Klausner

Shouldn't these be placed in the 'Library', rather than here? They aren't really 'discussions' - more self promotion, it seems to me. They could also be put in the 'recently read' thread.

Kookamoor said:
Shouldn't these be placed in the 'Library', rather than here? They aren't really 'discussions' - more self promotion, it seems to me. They could also be put in the 'recently read' thread.

I was thinking along the same lines. If you google her name, she is a book reviewer. It's very distracting, since the boards are being spammed with these reviews.

Never heard of her. The reviews are tired and formulaic - two paragraphs of summary and only one of critique which never really gets to the reviewers feelings.

Dogtanian said:
How on earth can you read 4 or 5 books a day?!?

Look at the type of books - flimsy shit. Mills and Boon stuff. You could probably read 4 or 5 a day yourself if you didn't have a life.

For crying out loud - this is someone who is actually saying something on books, and still you complain!

I don't get that.

Cheers

For someone who is such a big reader she should have taken the time to read about the forum - it has a section for reviews.

She's not breaking any rules, I understand. And lots of people review flimsy books.

However, she has nearly 7000 reviews written that I'm sure we will have the pleasure of seeing here as soon as she's able to upload them all.

Doesn't it fall under the heading of excessive self-promotion? She purports to be a professional reviewer and all of these reviews are available in lots of other places on the internet, including her own website and Amazon.

I'm not making a quality judgment here. It's more of a bandwidth issue and an issue of the poster's intent, which is clearly self-promotion.

I don't hink (hope) she'll be posting all 7000 reviews. If she is, we'll have to arrange some things.

Cheers

When I see someone posting ISBN and price, I tend to assume they are trying to sell something. But apparently she just has a lot of free time. 7000 reviews :eek:

Seriously this is looking more and more like spam. There is a section for reviews why not put them in there.

Either that or go back to amazon where these reviews fit in.

I have to agree that it is quite annoying. Every time I log on here there are 10 new reviews from her, and honestly I read one and haven't read any more of them. They weren't that informative for me, just some stupid paragraph that really didn't help me gain any insight to the book. It kinda sounded like the paragraph from the back of the book in my opinion.

An update

for those concerned: A pm has been sent requesting that she place her reviews in the Library.

Ell said:
for those concerned: A pm has been sent requesting that she place her reviews in the Library.

Thanks to Ell for being a moderator who knows what moderating is actually about. :)

Back