• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Bishop

rune

Any other fans of this authors works? I would call most of what she's written so far would be called dark fantasy. She seems to be very good at writing interesting characters :D

Recently read Dreams Made Flesh and found it very entertaining. It's a complication of short stories based on the Black Jewels series :D

I loved her Black Jewels Trilogy, i got it in one volume of 1204 pages and read it three times in the three weeks i was in Ecuador.
There's one dark fantasy trilogy i like more though. The Kushiel Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey is in my opinion a deeper and more involving read. Her books are seven hundred plus pages each and that is favorite series to date.

numinar said:
I loved her Black Jewels Trilogy, i got it in one volume of 1204 pages and read it three times in the three weeks i was in Ecuador.
There's one dark fantasy trilogy i like more though. The Kushiel Trilogy by Jacqueline Carey is in my opinion a deeper and more involving read. Her books are seven hundred plus pages each and that is favorite series to date.
I did like the Black Jewels Trilogy. While not being my all-time favorite magic user, I think that the way Witch was described made her one of the most absolutely powerful magicians I've ever read about. More than Rand al'Thor, more than Zedd, yes... even more than Raistlin ;) The sheer power at her disposal was staggering.

There really wasn't much fantastical stuff in the Kushiel trilogy. Very little in fact. I would consider it more of an alternate history than I would a fantasy. There's just enough fantasy to keep it in the genre, but I personally wouldn't call it one. :D

Sorry, I hated the Black Jewels trilogy! It's actually the worst writing I have ever had the misfortune to read. It's like it's been written by a twelve year old.

Sorry, im gonna be really passionate and have a good rant now! I really did hate this book :)

I wouldn't even know where to begin. She is so bad. She just can't write.

Everything is way too dramatic. Everybody "stumbles and almost falls" and the slightest bit of news. It's always "it sent shivers of ice down his back" all the time. It's just completely over the top and silly. Not only does she do this but she uses the same expressions and phrase and words over and over again. Even the most armature writer knows that you shouldn't repeat yourself. Pick another metaphor or use a different word.

Characters are just silly unrealistic cardboard cut outs. High lord of hell is like a fatherly grandfather. WHAT???? You are 50,000 years old, an undead vampire, lord of the entire underworld and you act like a kindly grandfather? PLEASE.

Description is very poor. I didn't get the world described to me. She uses a hotch potch of odd words. Some of them are modern such as "French windows" It's a fantasy world. There is no France. There isn't any windows if it's medieval ( which who the hell knows if it is or not ) She should describe the windows but not call them French. It's not being nit-picky. You have to build a world. You wouldn't get Tolkien describing his boots as almost like nike.

Plot. Totally foolish school girl romantic/horror/fantasy slush with a bit of light S&M and bondage thrown in for titillation and shock value.

Terrible. Worst book I have ever read.

I'm just finishing pt. 2 of The Black Jewels, and I'll probably run out during lunch and get pt. 3. It's not the very best I've ever read, but I'm really liking reading it. Ya gotta love a series where the heroes are called Saetan, Daemon and Lucivar... (and ya gotta love them :rolleyes: ). That said, I will agree with Wabbit on some points.

Wabbit said:
she uses the same expressions and phrase and words over and over again. Even the most armature writer knows that you shouldn't repeat yourself. Pick another metaphor or use a different word.
Yeah, she does do this. But I don't mind the French windows too much (verfremdungseffekt?). And I do not at all mind a fantasy world with modern bathrooms :D

Wabbit said:
Plot. Totally foolish school girl romantic/horror/fantasy slush with a bit of light S&M and bondage thrown in for titillation and shock value.
Well, I think when I read these books I'm reading as the reader I was ten years ago or more... But I don't really have anything against her, and she was starved for fantasy books ;) It's pleasure reading, good for when there's too much stress and winter in the real world :)

*mrkgnao*

Now I've started on pt. 3 of The Black Jewels, and things are picking up again. Pt. 2 did get a bit corny and cute at times. And the villains are rather turning into two little Cruella de Vils - I mean really,
slaughtering unicorns?!

*mrkgnao*

Oh, and I've found this page - http://www.kaeleer.com/ - which has really well done pictures of the realms. And very good casting for Lucivar. :) Can't agree with Saetan, but Daemon's nice... :D (but who is it?)

*mrkgnao*

I've started reading the Ephemera books. I'm nearly 70 pages into Sebastian, but I am kind of liking the story. Of course, we'll see if this keeps up. I've not read any other books by Anne Bishop so it should be interesting to see how I find these to be.

Back