• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anne Rice: Cry to Heaven

Anamnesis

This novel is about two musicians in 1700's Italy: Guido Maffeo, a singer-turned composer looking for promising singers and Tonio Treschi, son of a powerful Venetian noble who'd rather perform music than take his father's place in government. Don't let the absence of vampires or witches fool you: Heaven is very much an Anne Rice book. She explores alienation and non-traditional relationships, two ideas that are heavily present in The Vampire Chronicles and her erotic novels. Her writing, as always, is richly detailed. It almost seems like Rice was able to travel back in time and recorded the events she witnessed there. Some readers may be put off by the minimal dialogue and meticulous descriptions, but I was seldom bored by the book. I think it's one of Anne Rice's strongest novels.

I found this book in a time share I was staying in once. I read it over the course of three days and I remember when I got done I thought "That was a pretty darn good read!"
Not a subject I would normally gravitate to, but I agree that it is very richly drawn and it is one of those novels that does transport you to a certain place and time very well. It has been years since I read it, and I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember it kept me interested.

Back