• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Clive Barker fans?

lorrekarloff

I haven't seen his name mentioned(except 'Weaveworld') in the short time I've been here-just wondering if anyone else read his books. So far I've read:
The Great and Secret Show
The Damnation Game
Everville
Sacrement
The Inhuman Condition
Books of Blood-Volume 1

Granted it's strange stuff, and not for everyone, but I think I'll read them all.
Anyone else for the strange and unusual? :eek: :eek: :D

I am here ;)
I read Abarat, the second book, now looking the second one in Russian.
Galili.
Coldheart canion.
Thief of always.

You are mistaken, we disscused here also Abarat. Search thread ;)

I've read all his work (including his plays) with the exception of Weaveworld (I could never get into it) and The Thief of Always. And the two Abarat books.

I've got his Cabal, which was really interesting, and had the short story called The Last Illusion. That got turned into a movie called Lord of Illusion starring my favourite TV man, Scott Bakula. Yay.

I've also read The Thief of Always, which I enjoyed tremendously.

I've also played Clive Barker's foray into computer gaming, which is a first-person shooter called Undying. Totally cool - it has a story too - about a family of 5, and except for the eldest, all are, well, not normal. All hold a family secret.

ds

I read The Thief of Always, which I wasn't that keen on. I currently have Abarat sitting on my TBR pile, but it's way down the list. I might have read Weaveworld... or was it The Carpet People?! :eek:

I like him, though I haven't ready many of his books, I've only read Arabat and The Hellbound Heart. I'm looking into his other works. :)

I loved his short stories and early novels but have to say I find his more recent stuff (anything after Cabal really) far too self-indulgent

I;ve been reading "Imajica" for 9 years. Whew. Hard going. I have his other books as well.

i LOVE Clive Barker. to me, he's the king of the fantastic. his books blow my mind (pardon the cliche). it's been awhile since i've read any of his books because i haven't come across anything new, but i've read:

The Great and Secret Show
Everville
Imajica
The Damnation Game
Cabal
Weaveworld (my favorite)
The Thief of Always
Galilee
Cold Heart Canyon
The Hellbound Heart
Sacrament (the only one i didn't enjoy)

i haven't read his books of blood or other short stories because i don't really like short stories. i enjoy long books (as long as they're good). the longer the better.

Rustam said:
Short stories??
I didn't know any his shot stories.
Where can I have them?

He published 6 volumes of short stories (The Books of Blood) before any of his novels. Amazon should have them.

whatmeworry said:
He published 6 volumes of short stories (The Books of Blood) before any of his novels. Amazon should have them.

I've found them, already :) Anyway thanks

Rustam said:
Short stories??
I didn't know any his shot stories.
Where can I have them?
'The Inhuman Condition' is a book of his short stories, also 'The Books of Blood' Volumes 1-3.

Jenem- I would still recommend reading his short stories, you're missing out on some weird stuff!! :eek: :D

bobbyburns said:
was jenem right to think she could create a more subtle kind of innuendo? nah, man, she was worse than right. she was wrong.

tut tut, someone's mind is in the gutter... as usual

lorrekarloff said:
Jenem- I would still recommend reading his short stories, you're missing out on some weird stuff!! :eek: :D

yes, i'm sure you're right. perhaps i will put them on my wish list and get them as gifts in the future.

Can anyone recommend a book by him? I've already read his childrens novel (the first one) and The Hellbound Heart, what should I look into next?

It depends what you'd prefer - fantasy, horror, or romance. I'd recommend Imajica, The Damnation Game, and Galilee respectively. Sacrament, however, is a brilliant novel.

Back