• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any new fantasy series out thats good?

:)

Hey Sword,
Thanks for your enthusiasm, it's very kind of you. I'll pop in and chat every now and then, summer will be a slow-down period for me and I'm looking forward to doing some more writing once the school year ends (I'm an English (go figure) teacher until this book thing picks up).

Why'd I pick fantasy to write? Because I can't write what I wouldn't enjoy reading! I've been a reader all my life. Ever since my dad read me The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia when I was 5 or 6 I've been hooked on Fantasy, then I saw Star Wars and since then I can't decide between sci-fi and fantasy, I love 'em both. Right now I'd say the authors that inspire me the most are David Eddings and Terry Brooks, Margaret Weis too, but not the DragonLance novels... the shorter series. Fantasy is in desperate need of shorter series: trilogies, stand alone's, etc.

I was home from college one summer and my dad challenged me to write him an "adventure tale" that he could read out loud to my family. He told me he wanted 10 pages a day, and that I needed to finish the story by the end of summer. I've come to believe that that's the challenge that every young writer needs. I've even challenged one of my friends who wants to write and make movies to write and finish a screen play this year. It's not the money that drives you, it's the audience. The thing that helped me write and keep writing was my family's desperate plea for, as Oliver Twist said, "More." Every night they would read their ten pages and then order me to go back to the computer and write them more story. Whether or not the first draft was good, that was the motivation I needed, and what kept me going ever since. The Dragon's Eye is the first in a trilogy that is finished and that I am planning on editing and publishing in the next two years. I have a sci-fi that I'm currently in the middle of writing, and another fantasy stand-alone that I've got ideas and plans for that I'll probably start this summer.

Advice for anyone who wants to be a writer... WRITE! Even if your first draft doesn't turn out the way you want, WRITE. Write stories and finish them, edit them, have your friends and family and acquaintences read them. Find people that you sort of know who like to read but aren't obligated to tell you that what you've written is good, and keep writing.

Heheh, anyway, that's my longwinded answer to some of your questions. Thanks again for your encouraging words.

God bless,
Jenelle <><

Hi, i am new here so please forgive if I have overlooked subjects on one of my favorite authors in the "Fantasy" flavor. That said, I do not see L.E. Modesitt mentioned anywhere. His "Saga of Recluse" series is a good one and I rate him nearly as good as Robert Jordan.

muggle said:
Hi, i am new here so please forgive if I have overlooked subjects on one of my favorite authors in the "Fantasy" flavor. That said, I do not see L.E. Modesitt mentioned anywhere. His "Saga of Recluse" series is a good one and I rate him nearly as good as Robert Jordan.
That's a good point. I re-read that series once a year it seems.

The last 2 books by Modesitt in the Saga of Recluse series were really very good. "Wellspring of Chaos" which was followed up by "Ordermaster" were very enjoyable. Some of the characters in the books you learn to really like.

pseudomuffin said:

I read this series (known as The Wayfarer Redemption in the USA) and enjoyed it, all except for the ending when Faraday turns into a deer (?) and runs away "unfettered". What was up with that nonsense? Anyway, I read Sinner (the 1st book in a new trilogy) last year and Sara Douglass redeemed herself (in my mind at least) by having Faraday turn back into a Human.

Sell Sword said:
I read this series (known as The Wayfarer Redemption in the USA) and enjoyed it, all except for the ending when Faraday turns into a deer (?) and runs away "unfettered". What was up with that nonsense? Anyway, I read Sinner (the 1st book in a new trilogy) last year and Sara Douglass redeemed herself (in my mind at least) by having Faraday turn back into a Human.
I haven't started reading that one yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

His "Saga of Recluse" series is a good one and I rate him nearly as good as Robert Jordan.

Which makes him what? Just barely bearable?:)

IMHO Modesti far surpasses Jordan, a statement that admittedly doesn't say much, but I stand by it:)

Has anyone here actually read 'Wellspring of Chaos" and "Ordermaster" by Modesitt. If not I highly recommend both books for those that are fans of fantasy type books.

When it comes to authors / books I believe that the idea of "To-Each-Their-Own" is especially applicable. I happen to like many different types of books. :)

Prolixic said:
I am right in the middle of George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. So far it is remarkably well written. The characters are strong...I mean you really hate them or you really like them. Its worth the read time.

I want to read Martin really bad, but I know he will take forever finishing this series, so ive been putting it off reading other stuff, buying as much time as i can

Back