• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any really, really, really long books that you would recommend?

War and Peace by Tolstoy
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky
Demons by Dostoevsky
The Idiot by Dostoevsky
David Copperfield by Dickens
Little Dorrit by Dickens
Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens
Bleak House by Dickens
Ulysses by Joyce
Les Miserables Victor hugo
Alsaka, Hawaii, Texas, Chesapeake etcetera by Michener
Shogun by James Clavell
Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. I consider the trilogy to be a single book.
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

There's no shortage of fantasy that goes on longer than 800 pages. George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series has longer novels for example.

If you're looking for super long I recommend In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust and The Man without Qualities by Robert Musil. I've also heard good things about Joseph and his brothers by Thomas Mann, which is very long.

Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) ~ Diana Gabaldon

London ~ Edward Rutherfurd

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell ~ Susanna Clarke

I second the Cross Stitch (aka Outlander) series by Diana Gabaldon, and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. The Stand by Stephen King is also quite good, IMO

Can I expand this discussion to request recommendations for very very long books that do contain excessive sex?

Tom said:
The Man without Qualities by Robert Musil
I'll second that.

Joyce Carol Oates' "Blonde" is a great story at 8-900 pages or so. It does have a bit of sex in it, though not excessive (IMO).

Bleak House and A Tale of Two Cities, both by Charles Dickens. Most of Dickens' work is long and convoluted, but worth the read. His characters are very complex.

Bleak House is one of my favorite books. :)

One suggestion I have to find long books is that you should try a Google search for epics.

Good luck!

I know they have been mentioned numerous times...but count me as another recommending

The Count of Monte Cristo

Shogun

I forgot to add these.

The Winds of War
War and Rememberence

Both of these are by Herman Wouk, and end up being about 2000 pages total (around 1000 pages each). Its an amazing story of the family of a Navy Officer, beginning in the mid 1930's and going on until the end of World War II. I don't know how respected they are by others, but I loved these books.

Violanthe said:
I only skimmed the other posts, so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but I think that GRR Martin's Game of Thrones fits the bill.

Game of Thrones has some of the ol' in an' out in it. Not excessive though. But that's my perception of the words "sex" and "excessive" together.

kd2005 said:
I forgot to add these.

The Winds of War
War and Rememberence

Both of these are by Herman Wouk, and end up being about 2000 pages total (around 1000 pages each). Its an amazing story of the family of a Navy Officer, beginning in the mid 1930's and going on until the end of World War II. I don't know how respected they are by others, but I loved these books.

I'm glad to hear this, kd2005. I've had my eyes on these ever since I finished Wouk's outstanding novel, Youngblood Hawke, which is another long book that I can't recommend highly enough.

Back